Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Silver, Room 67, The Whiteley Galleries

This object consists of 3 parts, some of which may be located elsewhere.

Romney Plain Pine

Cutlery Set
1936 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Walter Patrick Belk initially designed this service for the tourist class (2nd class) dining room of the Queen Mary. It proved so popular that it was also used for another of Cunard’s transatlantic liners, the Queen Elizabeth, sister ship of the Queen Mary.

In the first half of the 20th century, Roberts and Belk were a well-known firm of manufacturing platers and silversmiths. They had been established in Sheffield in 1810. In 1901 the firm converted into a limited liability company, the first directors being Charles Belk and Walter Belk. In 1961 it was purchased by the London manufacturing silversmiths, C. J. Vander Ltd.

Traditionally, Roberts and Belk had a ‘high-class’ goods range – ‘ every piece designed by the firm’s own staff’. Walter Belk (1872-1963) was originally an architect. As director of this important firm, he was immensely supportive of the Goldsmiths’ Company’s schemes to improve design in silver. He was elected to the Livery of the Company in 1929.


Object details

Categories
Object type
Parts
This object consists of 3 parts.

  • Fork
  • Spoon
  • Knife
TitleRomney Plain Pine (manufacturer's title)
Materials and techniques
Electroplated nickel silver, the blade of stainless steel
Brief description
Electroplated nickel silver, the knife with a stainless steel blade, Sheffield, 1932-36, made by Roberts and Belk Ltd., designed by Walter Patrick Belk
Physical description
Cutlery set, the table knife with a stainless steel blade, a straight leading edge, rounded tip and a curved cutting edge, the haft of electroplated nickel silver, chamfered edges and corners, stamped with a fleche pattern. The fork, electroplated nickel silver, three tines, the outer ones tapering slightly inwards, the handle a tapered stem reducing towards the bowl, chamfered edges and corners and stamped with a fleche pattern. The dessert spoon, electroplate, oval bowl with a pointed tip, the handle as for the fork.
Marks and inscriptions
ROBERTS & BELK LTD / FURNIVAL WORKS / SHEFFIELD / RUSTLESS (On the blade)
Object history
Registered Design number: Rd. 798068
Summary
Walter Patrick Belk initially designed this service for the tourist class (2nd class) dining room of the Queen Mary. It proved so popular that it was also used for another of Cunard’s transatlantic liners, the Queen Elizabeth, sister ship of the Queen Mary.

In the first half of the 20th century, Roberts and Belk were a well-known firm of manufacturing platers and silversmiths. They had been established in Sheffield in 1810. In 1901 the firm converted into a limited liability company, the first directors being Charles Belk and Walter Belk. In 1961 it was purchased by the London manufacturing silversmiths, C. J. Vander Ltd.

Traditionally, Roberts and Belk had a ‘high-class’ goods range – ‘ every piece designed by the firm’s own staff’. Walter Belk (1872-1963) was originally an architect. As director of this important firm, he was immensely supportive of the Goldsmiths’ Company’s schemes to improve design in silver. He was elected to the Livery of the Company in 1929.
Bibliographic reference
Carol Hogben ed., British Art and Design 1900-1960, London, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1983. pp.136-7. ill.
Collection
Accession number
CIRC.121B-1937

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdMarch 12, 2004
Record URL
Download as: JSON