We don’t have an image of this object online yet. V&A Images may have a photograph that we can’t show online, but it may be possible to supply one to you. Email us at vaimages@vam.ac.uk for guidance about fees and timescales, quoting the accession number: M.88-1934
Find out about our images

Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Silver, Room 68, The Whiteley Galleries

Sweetmeat Dish

1928-1929 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

The Artificiers' Guild was founded in 1901by Edward Spencer and Nelson Dawson. Dawson left in 1903 when the Guild was taken over by Montague Fordham, a former director of the Birmingham Guild of Handicraft. The premises were first in Maddox Street W1 and later, Conduit Street. The business closed in 1938. Spencer was a versatile draughtsman; he often combined different materials such as ivory and shagreen with silver. Softly planished silver and delicate chasing were characteristic aspects of his work.

Object details

Category
Object type
Materials and techniques
Silver, parcel gilt, raised, applied decoration
Brief description
Silver, parcel gilt, London 1928-9, mark of the Artificers' Guild, designed by Edward Spencer
Physical description
Boat shaped, interior gold washed, standing on a column with dome shaped base. Decoration of grapes and vine leaves around dish. Inside gilt.
Dimensions
  • Height: 12.8cm
  • Length: 13cm
  • Width: 8.7cm
Marks and inscriptions
Inside base: maker AS Co. Ltd. for Artificers Guild Ltd., sterling, leopard, date letter M (1928-9), scratched “103” central stamp: W. Edward Spencer Del
Gallery label
SWEETMEAT DISH Silver, parcel gilt London, 1928-9 Mark of the Artificers' Guild Ltd. Incised on a circular shield on the base: W EDWARD SPENCER DEL and the number 103. Designed by Edward Spencer (1872-1938) for the Artificers' Guild Ltd. Spencer was a versatile draughtsman; he often combined different materials such as ivory and shagreen with silver. Softly planished silver and delicate chasing were characteristic aspects of his work. Purchased from the British Institute of Industrial Art out of the Spielmann Memorial Fund. M.87-1934
Object history
Acquisition RF: Spielman Memorial Fund
Purchase - British Institute of Industrial Art, from the Spielman Memorial Fund.

The Artificiers' Guild was founded in 1901by Edward Spencer and Nelson Dawson. Dawson left in 1903 when the Guild was taken over by Montague Fordham, a former director of the Birmingham Guild of Handicraft. The premises were first in Maddox Street W1 and later, Conduit Street. The business closed in 1938. Spencer was a versatile draughtsman; he often combined different materials such as ivory and shagreen with silver. Softly planished silver and delicate chasing were characteristic aspects of his work.
Summary
The Artificiers' Guild was founded in 1901by Edward Spencer and Nelson Dawson. Dawson left in 1903 when the Guild was taken over by Montague Fordham, a former director of the Birmingham Guild of Handicraft. The premises were first in Maddox Street W1 and later, Conduit Street. The business closed in 1938. Spencer was a versatile draughtsman; he often combined different materials such as ivory and shagreen with silver. Softly planished silver and delicate chasing were characteristic aspects of his work.
Collection
Accession number
M.88-1934

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdMarch 3, 2004
Record URL
Download as: JSON