Georg von Espelbach

Medal
1557 (made)
Georg von Espelbach thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This is a gilt copper alloy medal made by the Master of the Lienhard Mair Medal in Germany and dated 1557. The obverse of this medal represents Georg von Espelbach in high relief facing slightly right, bearded and bare-headed, wearing a chain. The reverse shows the coat of arms with mantling, helmet and crest. There is a scroll with inscription above the crest. The medal has a suspension ring. On the backgrounds of both the obverse and reverse is a design in dots and engraved tendrils.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Gilt copper alloy
Brief Description
Medal, gilt copper alloy, Georg von Espelbach, by the Master of the Lienhard Mair Medal, Germany, dated 1557
Physical Description
Suspension ring.
Dimensions
  • Diameter: 4.95cm
  • Weight: 74.3g
Object history
Provenance: Tross. 140 medals and reliefs were purchased from M. Henri Tross of Paris for £500 by J.C. Robinson for the Museum in 1867.
Summary
This is a gilt copper alloy medal made by the Master of the Lienhard Mair Medal in Germany and dated 1557. The obverse of this medal represents Georg von Espelbach in high relief facing slightly right, bearded and bare-headed, wearing a chain. The reverse shows the coat of arms with mantling, helmet and crest. There is a scroll with inscription above the crest. The medal has a suspension ring. On the backgrounds of both the obverse and reverse is a design in dots and engraved tendrils.
Bibliographic References
  • Trusted, Marjorie. German Renaissance Medals: a Catalogue of the Collection in the Victoria and Albert Museum. London: Victoria & Albert Museum, 1990, p. 76
  • Inventory of Art Objects Acquired in the Year 1867. In: Inventory of the Objects in the Art Division of the Museum at South Kensington, Arranged According to the Dates of their Acquisition. Vol I. London: Printed by George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1868, p. 14
Collection
Accession Number
71-1867

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 1, 2004
Record URL