Autoperipatetikos

Walking Doll
1862 (manufactured)
Autoperipatetikos thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Temporary Exhibition, room 38
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

'Autoperipatetikos' means 'the automatic walking one'. This clockwork mechanism walking doll was designed by Enoch Rice Morrison in 1862 and made by Martin and Runyon in the United States. In the mid-19th century a doll that walked was a great novelty and must have made an exciting present for a little girl.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Composition, brass, wood and leather
Brief Description
Autoperipatetikos or walking doll made in the USA by Martin & Runyon in 1862
Physical Description
The dolls's head is composition with moulded hair and painted facial features. Arms are of kid leather. The body is a conical shaped cardboard and wood containing a clockwork mechanism. The bodice is of pale blue silk with lace and ribbon trim, overskirt of white lace and net and petticoat of white cotton and lace.With original box and key.
Dimensions
  • Height: 25.4cm
  • Head only height: 7.6cm
Production typeMass produced
Marks and Inscriptions
Patented July 15, 1862 also in Europe, 20 Dec.1862 (bottom of doll; printing)
Credit line
Given by Miss B. Hinton
Object history
Martin & Runyon, 299 Broadway, New York City, had London offices from 1862 to 1867.
Historical context
Autoperipatetikos was patented in the U.S.A. by Enoch Rice Morrison in 1862. Made and distributed by a variety of people including Daniel.S.Cohen and Joseph Lyon & Co. of New York.
Summary
'Autoperipatetikos' means 'the automatic walking one'. This clockwork mechanism walking doll was designed by Enoch Rice Morrison in 1862 and made by Martin and Runyon in the United States. In the mid-19th century a doll that walked was a great novelty and must have made an exciting present for a little girl.
Bibliographic Reference
The Ultimate Doll Book, C.G.Goodfellow, Dorling Kindersley, 1993
Collection
Accession Number
MISC.33-1971

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJanuary 26, 2004
Record URL