Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, room WS , Case R, Shelf 18, Box L

Manuscript cuttings from a Sistine Chapel Missal completed for Pope Clement VII

Manuscript Cutting
ca. 1523-1534 (illuminated), 19th century (collage), 19th century (framing)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

In the 19th century it became common practice in Italy to dismember illuminated books. This was done to satisfy collectors. This is a montage of cut-out decoration from a choirbook that came from the Sistine Chapel in Rome. It was made for Pope Clement VII (ruled 1523-34). The frame dates from the early 19th century. We know that the illuminator, Vincenzo Raimondi (the Frenchman, Vincent Raymond), was in Rome from the 1520s. He was made papal illuminator in 1549, and died in 1557. In 1549 Paul III called him 'our illuminator [miniatorem] for the Chapel and Sacristy, for life'.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Water-based pigments, gilding and ink on parchment
Brief Description
Montage of manuscript cuttings from a Sistine Chapel Missal completed for Pope Clement VII (1523-1534), with a miniature of the Decollation of St Paul, illuminated by Vincent Raymond de Lodève and workshop, Rome, ca. 1523 -1534.
Physical Description
This montage is made of 9 original cuttings from a 16th-century papal missal and 4 19th-century added pieces with inscriptions or blanks.

Below description from Eze 2010:

a. Miniature of the Martyrdom of Paul with another Saint already beheaded by his side.

b. (outer top centre) Border of grotesques and the Medici diamond ring device and six balls.

c. (outer right) Border of grotesques, ovals with scrolls inscribed ‘SOLI DEO (H)ONOR ET GLORIA’ and ‘GLOVIS’ and a falcon perched on the Medici diamond ring device and motto ‘SEMPER’.

d. (outer left) Border of grotesques, ovals containing scrolls inscribed ‘GLORIA ET ?DIVITI’ and ‘GLOVIS’ and a falcon perched on the Medici diamond ring device and motto ‘SEMPER’.

e. (inner top) Border of grotesques with two zoomorphic figures supporting the Medici diamond ring device.

f. (inner right) Border of grotesques with ovals containing half-length figures of the evangelists John and Matthew and the Medici yoke device with motto ‘SUAVE’.

g. (inner bottom centre) Border grotesques and the Medici papal arms.

h. (inner left) Border of grotesques with ovals containing half-length figures of the evangelists Luke and Mark and the Medici yoke device with motto ‘SUAVE’.



Early nineteenth-century, probably Paris, 1802-1806.

i. (outer top left) Section of border of zoomorphic grotesques and a blank oval panel.

j. (outer top right) Section of zoomorphic grotesques and a blank oval panel.

k. (outer bottom left) Border of zoomorphic grotesques and a panel inscribed ‘CLEMENS VII PONTIF. OPT. MAX. JULIUS DE MEDICIS FLORENTIUS LEONIS X FRATER PATRUELIS’.

l. (outer bottom right) Section of border of zoomorphic grotesques and a panel inscribed ‘ELECTUS SUM PONT. ANNO DOMINI MDXXIII’.

Gilt wood frame.



Dimensions
  • Height: 311mm
  • Width: 254mm
Production typeUnique
Object history
Cuttings from a missal completed for Clement VII (r. 1523-1534), but probably begun under Leo X (f. 1513-1521). Corresponds to A.I.9 in the Sistine Sacristy Inventory of 1714 (see Eze 2010 p. 451 and de Laurentiis 2011),

Collection of abbot Luigi Celotti (1759-1843) who had the montage made and framed (probably in Paris, c. 1802-1806): his sale, Christie's, London, 26 May 1825, lot 71; purchased by William Young Ottley; Collection of William Young Otlley: his sale, Sotheby's, London, 11-12 May 1838. Collection of Frédéric Spitzer (1815-1890): his sale, 17 April 1893, lot 3282. Collection of George Salting (1835-1909): acquired with the George Salting Bequest in 1910.



Cuttings from the same manuscript in the V&A collection: E.4577-1910 and E.4578-1910.
Subjects depicted
Summary
In the 19th century it became common practice in Italy to dismember illuminated books. This was done to satisfy collectors. This is a montage of cut-out decoration from a choirbook that came from the Sistine Chapel in Rome. It was made for Pope Clement VII (ruled 1523-34). The frame dates from the early 19th century. We know that the illuminator, Vincenzo Raimondi (the Frenchman, Vincent Raymond), was in Rome from the 1520s. He was made papal illuminator in 1549, and died in 1557. In 1549 Paul III called him 'our illuminator [miniatorem] for the Chapel and Sacristy, for life'.
Associated Object
Bibliographic References
  • La collection Spitzer, Antiquité, Moyen Âge, Renaissance. 6 vols. Paris, 1890-1892. vol. V with notices of manuscripts by Léopold Delisle and Auguste Molinier.vol. II, p. 525, no. 9.
  • Catalogue of Miniatures, Leaves, and Cuttings from Illuminated Manuscripts. Victoria and Albert Museum. Department of Engraving, Illustration and Design, by S.C. Cockerell and C. Harcourt Smith (London: HMSO, 1923, 2nd edition).p. 90.
  • Voelkle, W.M., Wieck, R., Saffiotti, M.F.P., The Bernard M. Breslauer Collection of Manuscript Illuminations, New York: Pierpont Morgan Library, 1992.p. 226, fig. 11.
  • Talamo, E.A., Codices cantorum: miniature e disegni nei codici della Capella Sistina, Florence: Officine del Novecento, 1998.p. 227.
  • Hindman, S., Camille, M., Rowe, N. and Watson, R., Manuscript illumination in the Modern Age, Evanston, Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, 2001.pp. 55, 66, fig. 23.
  • Stoneman, William P., Of current interest: recent research on medieval and Renaissance manuscripts in Houghton Library, Cambridge: Houghton Library of the Harvard College Library, 2006, p. 55.
  • Eze, A.-M., Abbé Luigi Celotti (1759-1843): Connoisseur, Dealer, and Collector of Illuminated Miniatures, unpublished PhD thesis, Courtauld Institute of Art, London, 2010.pp. 237-239 (lot 71), 452.
  • De Laurentiis, E. and Talamo, E.A., The Lost Manuscripts from the Sistine Chapel. An Epic Journey from Rome to Toledo, Madrid : Centro de Estudios Europa Hispánica ; Dallas, Tex. : Meadows Museum, Southern Methodist University, 2011.p. 374, fig. 35.
Collection
Accession Number
E.4578-1910

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJanuary 9, 2004
Record URL