Scene from the story of Daniel thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Medieval & Renaissance, Room 9, The Dorothy and Michael Hintze Gallery

Scene from the story of Daniel

Panel
ca. 1243-1248 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This medallion originally came from the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. King Louis IX of France built the chapel to house the Crown of Thorns, which he had acquired in 1239. This was a relic of Christ’s passion.

The Sainte-Chapelle was begun in 1241 and dedicated in 1248. It has been described as a huge reliquary in stone. Architecture, sculpture and stained glass combine to produce an effect of astonishing richness. It is often viewed as the archetypal High Gothic construction.

The vast glazing programme has suffered, however. During the first half of the 19th century much glass was removed. Later, it was replaced with modern copies or inventions.

The prophet Daniel, with halo, is shown interceding with Arioch, the captain of King Nebuchadnezzar’s guard. Arioch had been charged with killing all the wise men of Babylon (Daniel 2: 14–15, 24). To the left, behind Daniel, an executioner raises his sword to kill two of the wise men.

The background consists of fleur-de-lis and castles within a diaper. This symbolises the alliance of France and Castile by the marriage of King Louis VIII and Blanche of Castile, parents of King Louis IX. The window, though, has been much restored and is made up from different panels.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Stained glass
Brief Description
Stained glass window depicting a scene from the story of Daniel
Physical Description
Ground diapered with the arms of St. Louis of France, and his mother, Blanche of Castile.



Daniel, with a halo, is shown interceding with Arioch, the captain of King Nebuchadnezzar's guard, who had been charged with eliminating all the wise men of Babylon (Daniel 2:14-15, 24). To the left, behind Daniel, an executioner raises his sword to kill two of the wise men.
Dimensions
  • Height: 124.5cm
  • Width: 85cm
  • Depth: 3.2cm
  • Weight: 23kg
Measured for the Medieval and Renaissance Galleries 2006. Measurements include display frame.
Credit line
Given by Mr Henry Vaughan
Object history
From the lancet on the right side of Bay G at the east end of the Sainte Chapelle, Paris, dedicated to episodes from the lives of St John the Baptist and Daniel.

(1803) Glass removed from the Sainte Chapelle and sold.

(1864) JH Pollen comments that the glass comes from the Sainte Chapelle or was made by the same person who made the glass for the Sainte Chapelle.

(1959) Corpus Vitrearum: Subject identified as Daniel and Arioch.(Grodecki)

(2000) C. Hediger, Univ. of Geneva: Subject identified as Susannah and the Condemnation of the Two Elders (upcoming article in Arte Medievale).
Historical context
Daniel, an Old Testament prophet, belonged to the tibe of Judah. He was taken into captivity when he was a youth and raised and educated in the court of Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon (c.605-562 B.C). There he learnt the powers of divination from the wise men of the court. The King had a dream and wished the wise men to interpret his dream. However, the King refused to tell the wise men what the dream was, saying that they should be able to tell him and that he would kill them if they couldn't. The King sent Arioch, the Captain of his guard, to slay them. Daniel stopped him and went to the king and told him what his dream was and what it meant.
Subjects depicted
Literary Reference<font -u>Daniel</font> 2:14-15, 24
Summary
This medallion originally came from the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. King Louis IX of France built the chapel to house the Crown of Thorns, which he had acquired in 1239. This was a relic of Christ’s passion.



The Sainte-Chapelle was begun in 1241 and dedicated in 1248. It has been described as a huge reliquary in stone. Architecture, sculpture and stained glass combine to produce an effect of astonishing richness. It is often viewed as the archetypal High Gothic construction.



The vast glazing programme has suffered, however. During the first half of the 19th century much glass was removed. Later, it was replaced with modern copies or inventions.



The prophet Daniel, with halo, is shown interceding with Arioch, the captain of King Nebuchadnezzar’s guard. Arioch had been charged with killing all the wise men of Babylon (Daniel 2: 14–15, 24). To the left, behind Daniel, an executioner raises his sword to kill two of the wise men.



The background consists of fleur-de-lis and castles within a diaper. This symbolises the alliance of France and Castile by the marriage of King Louis VIII and Blanche of Castile, parents of King Louis IX. The window, though, has been much restored and is made up from different panels.
Bibliographic References
  • Williamson, Paul. Medieval and Renaissance Stained Glass in the Victoria and Albert Museum. London, 2003. ISBN 1851774041
  • Les Vitraux de Notre-Dame et de la Sainte-Chapelle de Paris, Corpus Vitrearum Medii Aevi. France. Vol I. Department de la Seine - I, Paris, 1959, pp.344-6.
Collection
Accession Number
1221-1864

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJuly 28, 1998
Record URL