Panel thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 58b

Panel

1582 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
In the hundred years following the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century, few figural stained-glass windows were produced for English churches. Instead, the medium was used almost solely for heraldic panels. As in previous centuries, patrons of religious foundations often commissioned windows displaying their coats of arms as a means of reaffirming their association and commemorating their generosity.

People
The inscription reveals that this panel was commissioned in 1582 by Edward Lucas to adorn the chapel of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. According to an 18th-century source, the college possessed two panels bearing his arms. This one seems to have been removed from Corpus Christi around 1828 when the chapel's windows were being restored by Samuel Yarrington, who sold the piece. It was acquired by the V&A from Filby Hall in Norfolk, the home of Charles Lucas, who was apparently descended from another, non-aristocratic Lucas family.

Materials & Making
With the widespread introduction of enamel pigments in the 16th-century, true stained glass played a diminishing part in the production of heraldic panels. Instead, larger panels of white glass were painted with colours and this work fell chiefly to Dutch and German artists. In the scrollwork border of this panel, blue, red and black enamel is used alongside silver-based yellow stain. The shield itself has been made using a different technique called 'flashing', whereby clear glass was coated with a thin surface layer of red glass, which was then scratched or 'abraded' to reveal the white detail beneath.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Colourless flashed glass, painted with coloured enamels and yellow stain
Brief Description
Stained glass panel with the arms of Edward Lucas, probably England, 1582
Physical Description
Panel. Arms of Edward Lucas, inscribed, Edward Lucas of London, Gentleman, made this window.
Dimensions
  • Height: 58.4cm
  • Width: 45.7cm
Dimensions checked: Measured; 01/08/2001 by DA framed dims provided by DA August 2001
Gallery Label
British Galleries: This heraldic panel was commissioned for the chapel of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge by 'Edward Lucas of London Gentleman' in 1582. Edward Lucas was admitted as a student to Corpus Christi College in 1574. He may have later contributed money to his old college and requested a permanent memorial.(27/03/2003)
Object history
From Filby Hall, Norfolk. Probably made in England
Summary
Object Type
In the hundred years following the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century, few figural stained-glass windows were produced for English churches. Instead, the medium was used almost solely for heraldic panels. As in previous centuries, patrons of religious foundations often commissioned windows displaying their coats of arms as a means of reaffirming their association and commemorating their generosity.

People
The inscription reveals that this panel was commissioned in 1582 by Edward Lucas to adorn the chapel of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. According to an 18th-century source, the college possessed two panels bearing his arms. This one seems to have been removed from Corpus Christi around 1828 when the chapel's windows were being restored by Samuel Yarrington, who sold the piece. It was acquired by the V&A from Filby Hall in Norfolk, the home of Charles Lucas, who was apparently descended from another, non-aristocratic Lucas family.

Materials & Making
With the widespread introduction of enamel pigments in the 16th-century, true stained glass played a diminishing part in the production of heraldic panels. Instead, larger panels of white glass were painted with colours and this work fell chiefly to Dutch and German artists. In the scrollwork border of this panel, blue, red and black enamel is used alongside silver-based yellow stain. The shield itself has been made using a different technique called 'flashing', whereby clear glass was coated with a thin surface layer of red glass, which was then scratched or 'abraded' to reveal the white detail beneath.
Collection
Accession Number
C.117-1924

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 9, 1998
Record URL