Chair for Goldsmith's Hall, London thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 122

This object consists of 2 parts, some of which may be located elsewhere.

Chair for Goldsmith's Hall, London

1834 - 1835 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
This chair, painted gold and white, with cabriole (curved or shaped) legs and shaped frame, is typical of the French Style of the 1830s. This style was influenced by 18th-century French designs. Originally the chair was covered in crimson damask (a patterned woven fabric). The present upholstery is based on fragments of silk found on the chair and on the original sketches and estimates produced by the upholsterer for the commission.

Places
The Court Drawing Room, Goldsmiths' Hall, London, was the room on the first floor of the Hall intended for the use of female guests of the Goldsmiths' Company. Originally decorated with a red, white and gold scheme, the Drawing Room had crimson satin curtains and wall hangings, and white and gold mouldings. The furniture included window seats, sofas, 4 large armchairs, 18 fly (lightweight) chairs and 8 chairs like this one, which cost œ56 each.

People
Philip Hardwick (1792-1870) was Surveyor of the Goldsmiths' Company who commissioned him to design a new Hall. His building was in the Italianate style with six Corinthian columns (one of the classical orders of architecture) on the front. Hardwick designed the Court Drawing Room on the first floor for the use of female guests. He commissioned the furnishings, including a set of these chairs, from W.& G. Wilkinson, 14 Ludgate Hill, London.


object details
Category
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 2 parts.

  • Chair
  • Cover (Overlying Object)
Materials and Techniques
Beech, carved, painted and gilded; upholstery replaced
Brief Description
Chair designed by Philip Hardwick for the Court Drawing Room of Goldsmith's Hall, London. English, 1834.
Physical Description
Chair, painted gold and white, with cabriole (curved or shaped) legs and shaped frame. Upholstered with crimson damask.
Dimensions
  • Height: 96cm
  • Width: 56cm
  • Depth: 59.9cm
Dimensions checked: measured; 23/12/1998 by sf
Gallery Label
British Galleries: French Style was considered particularly suitable for rooms used by women, like the Court Drawing Room for which this chair was made. The shaped legs, known as 'cabriole', and the overall curved outlines of this chair, were typical of the French Louis XV style.(27/03/2003)
Credit line
Lent by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths
Object history
Designed by Philip Hardwick (born in London, 1792, died there in 1870); manufactured by W.& G. Wilkinson, London



Lent by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths
Summary
Object Type
This chair, painted gold and white, with cabriole (curved or shaped) legs and shaped frame, is typical of the French Style of the 1830s. This style was influenced by 18th-century French designs. Originally the chair was covered in crimson damask (a patterned woven fabric). The present upholstery is based on fragments of silk found on the chair and on the original sketches and estimates produced by the upholsterer for the commission.

Places
The Court Drawing Room, Goldsmiths' Hall, London, was the room on the first floor of the Hall intended for the use of female guests of the Goldsmiths' Company. Originally decorated with a red, white and gold scheme, the Drawing Room had crimson satin curtains and wall hangings, and white and gold mouldings. The furniture included window seats, sofas, 4 large armchairs, 18 fly (lightweight) chairs and 8 chairs like this one, which cost œ56 each.

People
Philip Hardwick (1792-1870) was Surveyor of the Goldsmiths' Company who commissioned him to design a new Hall. His building was in the Italianate style with six Corinthian columns (one of the classical orders of architecture) on the front. Hardwick designed the Court Drawing Room on the first floor for the use of female guests. He commissioned the furnishings, including a set of these chairs, from W.& G. Wilkinson, 14 Ludgate Hill, London.
Collection
Accession Number
LOAN: W.C.O.G.2

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 27, 2003
Record URL