Chalice thumbnail 1
Chalice thumbnail 2
+4
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 122

Chalice

1856-1857 (hallmarked)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
A chalice is a cup used to contain wine at the most important act of worship of the Christian Church, the Holy Communion or Mass. This richly decorated chalice is in the Gothic style promoted by the architect A.W.N. Pugin and the Cambridge Camden Society ( later the Ecclesiological Society ). The architect, William Butterfield who designed the chalice, was often quite original in his interpretation of the Gothic style, as the elaborate patterning of the coloured stones shows.

People
William Butterfield (1814-1900), the designer of this chalice, trained as an architect and was appointed to supervise the Cambridge Camden Society's new scheme for the manufacture of church plate and furnishings in 1843. This chalice was made under the scheme by the official silversmith to the society, John Keith & Son. Henry Woodyer, the architect of the convent for which the chalice was commissioned, was a pupil of William Butterfield.

Places
The chalice was made for use at the House of Mercy convent ( now called the Convent of St John the Baptist ) at Clewer in Berkshire. It was presented by Sister Elisabeth Morton, in the year after she took her vows as a nun, to be used in the new chapel that she had funded. The designer and architectural historian, Nicholas Pevsner, described the architectural style of the convent as 'joyless Gothic'.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Silver with gilding, set with semi-precious stones
Brief Description
Silver-gilt set with semi-precious stones, London hallmarks for 1856-7, mark of John Keith, designed by William Butterfield.
Physical Description
Silver gilt, pierced, engraved and applied decoration, and set with semi-precious stones with foiled crystals.
Dimensions
  • Height: 24.2cm
  • Diameter: 15.2cm
Dimensions checked: Measured; 26/01/1999 by sf
Marks and Inscriptions
  • Below outside rim: maker, John Keith, sterling, duty, leopard, date; On base: incised '100'. Designed by William Butterfield for the Ecclesiological Society.
  • Inscribed on the underside: "Given by E.M. for the use of the Chapel of the House of Mercy, Clewer, June 1856"
Gallery Label
British Galleries: Sister Elisabeth Morton gave this chalice to her Anglican convent chapel in the year after she took her vows as a nun. Her fortune also paid for a new chapel for the community. Many churches and religious institutions benefited in this way from the generosity of individual patrons.(27/03/2003)
Object history
Designed by William Butterfield (born in London, 1814, died there in 1900); made in London by John Keith (active from about 1824)

Hallmarked for London



Elizabeth Morton was a wealthy member of the community of Anglican nuns at the House of Mercy. This was the first Anglican convent, and the subject of much controversy. The design of this chalice was something of a standard: in 1856, the Society published designs by Butterfield for chalices, which closely resemble this one. The Society's pronouncements on chalices were very specific - "every part is wrought, casting not being allowable. The knop is generally pierced. This, and every other part, may be, and have been, elaborately jewelled and decorated with enamels".
Summary
Object Type
A chalice is a cup used to contain wine at the most important act of worship of the Christian Church, the Holy Communion or Mass. This richly decorated chalice is in the Gothic style promoted by the architect A.W.N. Pugin and the Cambridge Camden Society ( later the Ecclesiological Society ). The architect, William Butterfield who designed the chalice, was often quite original in his interpretation of the Gothic style, as the elaborate patterning of the coloured stones shows.

People
William Butterfield (1814-1900), the designer of this chalice, trained as an architect and was appointed to supervise the Cambridge Camden Society's new scheme for the manufacture of church plate and furnishings in 1843. This chalice was made under the scheme by the official silversmith to the society, John Keith & Son. Henry Woodyer, the architect of the convent for which the chalice was commissioned, was a pupil of William Butterfield.

Places
The chalice was made for use at the House of Mercy convent ( now called the Convent of St John the Baptist ) at Clewer in Berkshire. It was presented by Sister Elisabeth Morton, in the year after she took her vows as a nun, to be used in the new chapel that she had funded. The designer and architectural historian, Nicholas Pevsner, described the architectural style of the convent as 'joyless Gothic'.
Collection
Accession Number
CIRC.521-1962

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 27, 2003
Record URL