Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 54

The Designs of Inigo Jones Consisting of Plans and Elevations for Publick [sic] and Private Buildings

Print
1727 (first published)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
This print by Paul Fourdrinier combines two printmaking techniques - etching and engraving. Both involved creating a pattern of grooves to hold ink in a metal printing plate. The image on the printing plate was the reverse of the final image. The etched lines were made using acid, while the engraved lines were scored by means of a sharp tool called a burin. The grooves were then filled with ink and the image was transferred onto a blank sheet of paper.

People
The print comes from a book called The Designs of Inigo Jones, Consisting of Plans and Elevations For Publick and Private Buildings. Publish'd by William Kent. With some Additional Designs. It is one of the 'additional designs' since it is by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington.

Burlington was the chief promoter of the Palladian style. He provided financial backing for the book and it reproduced drawings in his collection. A self-promotional motive was also in operation. The book implied that Burlington was the natural successor to Inigo Jones, the outstanding architect of the 17th century who had introduced true classicism to Britain.

Trading
The booksellers James Woodman and Daniel Lyon took 380 advance subscriptions for this book. Only subscribers could buy it when new, as it was not for sale in bookshops.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Additional TitleThe Designs of Inigo Jones...With some Additional Designs (series title)
Materials and Techniques
Etching and engraving, ink on paper
Brief Description
William Kent (after), plate 72 from 'The Designs of Inigo Jones Consisting of Plans and Elevations for Publick [sic] and Private Buildings', London, 1727.
Physical Description
Print
Dimensions
  • Paper height: 37.8cm
  • Paper width: 24.7cm
Dimensions checked: Measured; 08/08/2000 by AS
Gallery Label
British Galleries: This was a preliminary design for Lord Burlington's house at Chiswick. When the hall was built, the design was modified. It shows the formal arrangement of the wall panels around the central door under its pediment. The semi-circular window above was copied from the ancient baths of Diocletian in Rome.(27/03/2003)
Object history
Published in London

Plate 72 of 'The Designs of Inigo Jones ...With some Additional Designs'The hall was designed by Lord Burlington (born in London, 1694, died there in 1753) and drawn by William Kent (born in Bridlington, East Yorkshire, 1685, died in London, 1748);

etched and engraved by Paul Fourdrinier (active 1720-1758)
Subjects depicted
Summary
Object Type
This print by Paul Fourdrinier combines two printmaking techniques - etching and engraving. Both involved creating a pattern of grooves to hold ink in a metal printing plate. The image on the printing plate was the reverse of the final image. The etched lines were made using acid, while the engraved lines were scored by means of a sharp tool called a burin. The grooves were then filled with ink and the image was transferred onto a blank sheet of paper.

People
The print comes from a book called The Designs of Inigo Jones, Consisting of Plans and Elevations For Publick and Private Buildings. Publish'd by William Kent. With some Additional Designs. It is one of the 'additional designs' since it is by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington.

Burlington was the chief promoter of the Palladian style. He provided financial backing for the book and it reproduced drawings in his collection. A self-promotional motive was also in operation. The book implied that Burlington was the natural successor to Inigo Jones, the outstanding architect of the 17th century who had introduced true classicism to Britain.

Trading
The booksellers James Woodman and Daniel Lyon took 380 advance subscriptions for this book. Only subscribers could buy it when new, as it was not for sale in bookshops.
Collection
Accession Number
12957:33

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 27, 2003
Record URL