Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level E

The Old Manor House, Hackney, formerly the residence of the Tyssen family

Print
20 July 1800 (published)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Print depicting a view of the front of Shacklewell House, Hackney.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
engraving
Brief Description
'The Old Manor House, Hackney', engraving by J. T. Smith, published by J. Manson, 1800
Physical Description
Print depicting a view of the front of Shacklewell House, Hackney.
Dimensions
  • Height: 9in
  • Width: 7in
Marks and Inscriptions
THE OLD MANOR-HOUSE, HACKNEY. Formerly the residence of the Tyssen family See Lyson's Environs of London. Published July 20, 1800 by Iohn Manson, Pall Mall.
Credit line
Given by the Hon. Arthur Villiers
Object history
Shacklewell House was the manor house of the estate of Shacklewell. It was the residence of the Heron family in the 16th century,including Giles Heron who was married to Cecily, daughter of Sir Thomas More. After Giles' execution for treason, the house passed to the Rowes, and was sold by Henry Rowe in about 1700 to the Tyssen family. The house was pulled down in the late 18th century.



This object was part of the John Edmund Gardner collection of topographical prints and drawings of London. After Gardner's death the collection passed to his son Edmund Thomas, but was sold to Edward Coates MP in 1910. The collection was sold again in 1923 after Coates' death, and was split between various institutions and private collectors. The portion connected with Hoxton, Homerton, Hackney and Bethnal Green was bought by the Hon. Arthur Villiers and donated to the Bethnal Green Museum.
Production
Plate 92 in J. T. Smith's Antiquities of London and Environs, London, 1791-1800
Subjects depicted
Place Depicted
Associations
Bibliographic References
  • Taken from departmental handlist.
  • Daniel Lysons, The Environs of London: Volume 2, County of Middlesex, London: T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1795
Collection
Accession Number
E.4701-1923

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 30, 2009
Record URL