The Kameido Tenmangu Shrine thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

The Kameido Tenmangu Shrine

Woodblock Print
1847-1848 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The ribmarks visible on this uchiwa-e (rigid fan print) design by Hiroshige help to moderate the composition's strong sense of perspective. The structure in the centre with its complex arrangement of roofs is the main building of the Kameido Tenmangu Shrine in the north-east part of Edo's Honjo district. We are looking northwards from immediately in front of the taikobashi or drum bridge for which, along with the wisteria that can be seen blooming on trellises around the lake in the middle of the grounds, the shrine was and still is famous. Patronized by the Tokugawa shogunate (the ruling military family), the shrine was dedicated to the deified Sugawara Michizane (845-903), patron saint of learning and calligraphy.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Additional TitleFamous Places in the Eastern Capital (series title)
Materials and Techniques
Colour print from woodblocks
Brief Description
Woodblock print, Utagawa Hiroshige I; 'The Kameido Tenmangu Shrine', from the series 'Famous Places in the Eastern Capital'; fan print, Japanese, 1847-1848
Physical Description
Fan print, aiban size. Artist signature: Hiroshige hitsu. Publisher mark: Enshuya Matabei. Censor seals: Hama and Kinugasa.
Dimensions
  • Approx. height: 220mm
  • Approx. width: 290mm
Style
Credit line
Webb Bequest
Place Depicted
Summary
The ribmarks visible on this uchiwa-e (rigid fan print) design by Hiroshige help to moderate the composition's strong sense of perspective. The structure in the centre with its complex arrangement of roofs is the main building of the Kameido Tenmangu Shrine in the north-east part of Edo's Honjo district. We are looking northwards from immediately in front of the taikobashi or drum bridge for which, along with the wisteria that can be seen blooming on trellises around the lake in the middle of the grounds, the shrine was and still is famous. Patronized by the Tokugawa shogunate (the ruling military family), the shrine was dedicated to the deified Sugawara Michizane (845-903), patron saint of learning and calligraphy.
Collection
Accession Number
E.4856-1919

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 12, 2003
Record URL