Bowl thumbnail 1
Bowl thumbnail 2
+6
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Islamic Middle East, Room 42, The Jameel Gallery

Bowl

1050-1100 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This Egyptian bowl has lustre decoration. It is one of the finest complete examples of the lustre-decorated pottery produced in Egypt under the Fatimid dynasty (ruled 969 -1171). Decorators had transferred the technique of painting in lustre over the glaze from glassware to pottery in Iraq at an earlier date. However, the quality of Egyptian wares of the Fatimid period is often much higher, as in this case.
The decoration on the interior of the bowl shows a hooded man carrying a lamp or censer suspended on chains. The space to his left is filled with a cypress tree. The man has traditionally been identified as a Coptic priest. (The Copts are Egyptian Christians who have lived under Muslim rule since the 7th century AD and still form a substantial minority of Egypt's population.)
The Arabic word Sa'd appears twice, back to front, on the outside of the bowl. It means 'happiness' but is also a common man's name. The same inscription appears on many other Egyptian lustre wares. It is not clear what it signifies. It may be a potter's signature, a workshop mark or the expression of a good wish by the maker for the future owner. Experts have dated this bowl to between 1050 and 1100. This is because a similar item was built into the facade of the church of San Sisto in Pisa, Italy, which was begun in 1070.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Fritware, with overglaze lustre decoration
Brief Description
Lustre bowl with a priest, Egypt (probably Cairo), 1050-1100.
Physical Description
Bowl with a high cylindrical footring, convex sides and a slightly out-turned rim. It may be covered with a white slip under a transparent glaze, rather than a tin-opacified glaze. The decoration is painted in reddish-brown lustre, which varies slightly in tone across the bowl, probably as a result of uneven heat in the kiln. The lustre-painting is articulated by scratches through the pigment. Plain concentric bands around the rim frame the central figural decoration, which depicts a hooded man, probably a Coptic priest, carrying a large lamp or censer, while the space to his left is occupied by a cypress tree. The Arabic word Sa'd is written twice, back to front, on the exterior.
Dimensions
  • Height: 10.4cm
  • Of mouth diameter: 23.5cm
  • Of foot diameter: 10.2cm
Style
Marks and Inscriptions
Sa'd (Arabic; wirtten twice on the exterior, back-to-front; lustre-painted)
Gallery Label
  • Jameel Gallery Bowl with Priest Egypt, probably Cairo 1050-1100 By 1050 Egyptian potters were experimenting with a white body material called fritware. On this bowl a Coptic, or Egyptian Christian, priest holds a lamp. Beside him is a cypress tree. Its presence suggests he is standing in a monastery garden, a setting much-loved by Arab poets. Fritware under a white slip, with lustre over the transparent glaze Museum no. C.49-1952. Purchased with the assistance of the National Art Collections Fund and the Bryan Bequest.(Jameel Gallery)
  • BOWL Fritware painted in gold lustre on a white glaze, depicting a Coptic priest holding a lamp. Signed by the potter Sa'd EGYPTIAN (Fatimid, said to have been found near Luxor); first half of the 12th century(Used until 09/2000)
Credit line
Purchased with Art Fund support and the Byran Bequest
Production
said to have been found near Luxor
Subjects depicted
Summary
This Egyptian bowl has lustre decoration. It is one of the finest complete examples of the lustre-decorated pottery produced in Egypt under the Fatimid dynasty (ruled 969 -1171). Decorators had transferred the technique of painting in lustre over the glaze from glassware to pottery in Iraq at an earlier date. However, the quality of Egyptian wares of the Fatimid period is often much higher, as in this case.

The decoration on the interior of the bowl shows a hooded man carrying a lamp or censer suspended on chains. The space to his left is filled with a cypress tree. The man has traditionally been identified as a Coptic priest. (The Copts are Egyptian Christians who have lived under Muslim rule since the 7th century AD and still form a substantial minority of Egypt's population.)

The Arabic word Sa'd appears twice, back to front, on the outside of the bowl. It means 'happiness' but is also a common man's name. The same inscription appears on many other Egyptian lustre wares. It is not clear what it signifies. It may be a potter's signature, a workshop mark or the expression of a good wish by the maker for the future owner. Experts have dated this bowl to between 1050 and 1100. This is because a similar item was built into the facade of the church of San Sisto in Pisa, Italy, which was begun in 1070.
Bibliographic References
  • Jenkins, Marilyn, "Sa'd: Content and Context", in P. Soucek (ed.), Content and Context of the Visual Arts in the Islamic World (Pennsylvania and London, 1988): 67-75, fig. 6
  • Jenkins, M., Evans, H. and Wixon, W. (edd.), The Glory of Byzantium: Art and Culture of the Middle Byzantine Era AD 843-1261 (New York, 1997): cat.no.273, pl.417
  • Contadini, Anna, Fatimid Art at the Victoria & Albert Museum. London: V&A Publications, 1998. p.86, plates 34a and 34b
  • Soustiel, Jean. La céramique islamique. Le guide du connaisseur. Fribourg, Office du Livre, 1985. ISBN 2-8264-0002-9. Pl. 148, p. 133
  • Lane, Arthur. Early Islamic Pottery. London: Faber and Faber, 1947. 52p., ill.. pp. 21-2, plate 26A (ex Kelekian Collection).
  • Tim Stanley (ed.), with Mariam Rosser-Owen and Stephen Vernoit, Palace and Mosque: Islamic Art from the Middle East, London, V&A Publications, 2004p.118
  • [Tim Stanley], 'Bowl with an image of a Coptic priest', in Beyond Boundaries. Islamic Art Across Cultures, Doha: Museum of Islamic Art, 2008, pp. 26-7.
  • Boehm, B. D., and Holcomb, M. (eds.) Jerusalem 1000-1400: Every People Under Heaven (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York) 2016. pp.91-92
  • Verdi, Richard. Saved!: 100 Years of the National Art Collections Fund London, Hayward Gallery and the National Gallery, 2003
Collection
Accession Number
C.49-1952

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 11, 2003
Record URL