The Kameido Tenjin Shrine thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

The Kameido Tenjin Shrine

Woodblock Print
1843-1847 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The Kameido Tenjin Shrine, visible to the upper right of this uchiwa-e (rigid fan print) design by Hiroshige, lay in the north-east part of the Honjo district across the Yokojukkengawa Canal from the similarly well-known Myoken Hall and Honshoji Temple complex. It was built in the early 1660s as part of the development of the area to the east of Sumida river, begun after the devastation of the central part of Edo by the Meireki fire of 1657. It was, and is, famous for its purple-flowering wisteria and its taikobashi, or drum bridge. The view here is of wisteria trellises along the east shore of the pond in the centre of the shrine grounds. The signs on the trellis supports read (from right to left) osenjicha / senkyaku banrai, meaning 'tea / that many clients should come', and oyasumidokoro / daikichi rishi, meaning 'resting place / that business should flourish'.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Additional TitleFamous Places in the Eastern Capital (series title)
Materials and Techniques
Colour print from woodblocks
Brief Description
Woodblock print, Utagawa Hiroshige I; 'The Kameido Tenjin Shrine', from the series 'Famous Places in the Eastern Capital'; fan print, Japanese, 1843-1847
Physical Description
Fan print, aiban size. Artist signature: Hiroshige ga. Publisher mark: Ibaya Kyubei. Censor seal: Fu.
Dimensions
  • Approx. height: 220mm
  • Approx. width: 290mm
Style
Place Depicted
Summary
The Kameido Tenjin Shrine, visible to the upper right of this uchiwa-e (rigid fan print) design by Hiroshige, lay in the north-east part of the Honjo district across the Yokojukkengawa Canal from the similarly well-known Myoken Hall and Honshoji Temple complex. It was built in the early 1660s as part of the development of the area to the east of Sumida river, begun after the devastation of the central part of Edo by the Meireki fire of 1657. It was, and is, famous for its purple-flowering wisteria and its taikobashi, or drum bridge. The view here is of wisteria trellises along the east shore of the pond in the centre of the shrine grounds. The signs on the trellis supports read (from right to left) osenjicha / senkyaku banrai, meaning 'tea / that many clients should come', and oyasumidokoro / daikichi rishi, meaning 'resting place / that business should flourish'.
Collection
Accession Number
E.537-1911

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 7, 2003
Record URL