The White Hart (pub sign) thumbnail 1
The White Hart (pub sign) thumbnail 2
+1
images
Not currently on display at the V&A

The White Hart (pub sign)

Pub Sign
ca. 1875 (painted), ca. 1750 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

The artist, Myles Birket Foster, who was usually known by his second name, lived in the village of Witley, near Godalming, Surrey, where this sign hung outside the village inn, the White Hart. Attracted by the rural setting, Birket Foster orginally rented a cottage in Witley for a family holiday in 1860 and then bought about twenty acres of land nearby to build his own house, The Hill. This was furnished with furniture, tiles and stained glass supplied by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.

Birket Foster specialised in landscapes and views of rural life, particularly those inspired by the unspoilt countryside around Witley. Although he is known mainly for his watercolours, he also painted in oil, the medium used for this inn sign. It was apparently re-painted by him and by Alfred W. Cooper, a family friend, about 1875 and the Museum purchased it from the owner of the inn in 1938.


Object details
Category
Object type
Materials and techniques
oil on pine
Brief description
Pub sign for the 'White Hart' by Myles Birket Foster, Wiltley, ca. 1750.
Physical description
Pub sign in pine for 'The White Hart', painted in oil.

The board is constructed of four superimposed planks, each c. 24 cm wide (i.e. high, in this context).
Dimensions
  • Wooden board height: 95.5cm
  • Wooden board width: 98cm
  • Wooden board thickness: 4.2cm
  • To iron finial height: 169cm
  • Approx., of iron bar width: 208cm
Meausred 19 October 2006
Gallery label
SIGN BOARD ENGLISH; the board mid-18th century, the painting about 1875 Pinewood painted for the White Hart Inn, Witley, Surrey, by Mile Birkett Foster (1825-99) and Alfred Cooper. NB should be Myles Birket Foster KH 3/1/2005(pre January 2001)
Object history
This sign hung outside the inn, the White Hart, in the village of Witley, near Godalming, Surrey. In a letter to Professor Tristram of 1938 (on the Nominal file) Capt. L.M. Glasson, grandson of Birket Foster, says that his mother remembers her father painting the sign when she was a girl. H.M. Cundall's book, Birket Foster, RWS (1906) page 185 also records him painting the sign. Birket Foster apparently painted the sign with Alfred W. Cooper, son of Alfred Cooper, RA.



The sign was purchased from Mrs. Edward Chandler, owner of the inn, whose husband's family apparently owned the manor of Witley for many years.
Summary
The artist, Myles Birket Foster, who was usually known by his second name, lived in the village of Witley, near Godalming, Surrey, where this sign hung outside the village inn, the White Hart. Attracted by the rural setting, Birket Foster orginally rented a cottage in Witley for a family holiday in 1860 and then bought about twenty acres of land nearby to build his own house, The Hill. This was furnished with furniture, tiles and stained glass supplied by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.



Birket Foster specialised in landscapes and views of rural life, particularly those inspired by the unspoilt countryside around Witley. Although he is known mainly for his watercolours, he also painted in oil, the medium used for this inn sign. It was apparently re-painted by him and by Alfred W. Cooper, a family friend, about 1875 and the Museum purchased it from the owner of the inn in 1938.
Collection
Accession number
W.69-1938

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

Record createdFebruary 23, 2001
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest