Graal thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Glass, Room 131

Graal

Vase
1918 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Vase decorated using the "Graal" technique. Dished bowl with stem of three knops which lead to a slightly flaired flat foot. It is hand blown and engraved. It is designed with blue vertical bands of calligraphic patterning.

Object details

Categories
Object type
TitleGraal (manufacturer's title)
Materials and techniques
Graal (Grail) technique glass, hand blown, engraved
Brief description
Vase from the "Graal" range, designed by Simon Gate, made by Knut Bergkvist and engraved by Heinrich Wollman at Orrefors glassworks, Sweden, Småland, 1916-18
Physical description
Vase decorated using the "Graal" technique. Dished bowl with stem of three knops which lead to a slightly flaired flat foot. It is hand blown and engraved. It is designed with blue vertical bands of calligraphic patterning.
Dimensions
  • Height: 26.4cm
  • Maximum width: 26.2cm
Style
Marks and inscriptions
'SGraal Orrefors 1918 HW KB' incised (Makers's marks)
Gallery label
The 'Graal' technque was developed by Knut Bergvist, with the designers Simon Gate and Edward Hald and first launched in 1916. The first gather of glass is engraved or acid-etched with a pattern and then covered with further layers of glass, some of them coloured. Re-heated, the glass is then blown to the required shape and this process accounts for the 'stretched' appearance of the pattern. This early example is recorded in the photographic archive at Orrefors. It cost Kr.200 when new. The numbers made and the dates are unknown but no other examples have come to light.
Bibliographic references
  • Orrefors archive, no/684. Burlington Magazine, April, 1994, Opie,J:...
  • Ann-Marie Herlitz-Gezelius. Orrefors: A Swedish Glassplant. Stockholm: Atlantis Publishers, 1984. See pp. 30-31 for the archive photo of c. 1918 showing the Orrefors display including this glass on the left.
Other number
7569 - Glass gallery number
Collection
Accession number
C.363-1993

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdDecember 13, 1997
Record URL
Download as: JSON