Earring thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

Earring

1800-1860 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

This pendant is an ear ornament, or chulpa from central Russia. Ear ornaments were worn either side of the face, like earrings, but were hung from ribbons or chains attached to the headdress, rather than in the ear, because of their size and weight. They were commonly worn by women in all the other Slav lands of Europe, as well as in Russia.

The design varied by region. This chulpa is typical of those worn by the Tatars, whose homeland was in central Russia. It was described as 17th-century Russian when it was acquired by the Museum in 1866, but is more likely to date from the 19th century. The design of the pendant includes imitation filigree coils, which were a dominant feature of Tatar jewellery in the 19th century, but were only introduced in the late 18th century.


Object details
Categories
Object type
Parts
This object consists of 2 parts.

  • Earrings
  • Earring
Materials and techniques
Cast and chased silver
Brief description
Silver ear ornament (chulpa) in two parts, with two small pendants, Russia, 1800-1860.
Physical description
Silver pendant, consisting of two flat plaques arranged vertically. The top plaque is a vertical oval with ogival ends, and the lower plaque is a fan, scalloped along the lower edge. There are two pendant ovals, hanging from the lower edges of the top part. Both sides of all pieces are chased with stylised floral patterns and imitation filigree.
Dimensions
  • Length: 105mm
  • Width: 42mm
  • Depth: 6mm
Summary
This pendant is an ear ornament, or chulpa from central Russia. Ear ornaments were worn either side of the face, like earrings, but were hung from ribbons or chains attached to the headdress, rather than in the ear, because of their size and weight. They were commonly worn by women in all the other Slav lands of Europe, as well as in Russia.



The design varied by region. This chulpa is typical of those worn by the Tatars, whose homeland was in central Russia. It was described as 17th-century Russian when it was acquired by the Museum in 1866, but is more likely to date from the 19th century. The design of the pendant includes imitation filigree coils, which were a dominant feature of Tatar jewellery in the 19th century, but were only introduced in the late 18th century.

Collection
Accession number
118-1866

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

Record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest