- Place of origin:
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
Walnut panel, carved with a shield bearing three boars' heads couped, amid Gothic tracery beneath a crocketed ogival arch resting on two pilasters. Above is a round-headed arch, and the space between is filled with Gothic tracery.
Place of Origin
Object history note
Purchased for £24: 'wormeaten, split and worn'.
This panel was formerly in the collection of Emile Peyre (1824-1904), a notable Parisian collector of French medieval and renaissance artefacts. In 1895 the South Kensington Museum (renamed the V&A in 1900), bought over 300 pieces of furniture and woodwork from him, (as well as sculpture and metalwork), at a cost of £11,878. 16s. 9d.
French, 1500-30. Ex Peyre Collection.
Woodwork; Renaissance (French)
Furniture and Woodwork Collection