Not currently on display at the V&A

Pair of Doors

1300-1450 (made)



object details
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 2 parts.

  • Door
  • Door
Object history
Displayed in gallery 48 (north side) by 1926 until the period 1982-1994, during which they were taken off display.
Bibliographic References
  • Charles Tracy, English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork (London, 1988), cat. no. 57 Door, one of two (mus. nos. W.5-1921, W.5a-1921), each being half of a pair of folding doors, from arched doorways. Each door, which is of slightly different design, is divided by ribs into four panels; on the lower part is a band of cusped arches (missing on one door); the upper part where the ribs intersect is filled with varieties of geometrical tracery. Each door has two iron strap hinges with ring sockets (PLS. 17a & b). From St Mary, Beverley, Yorkshire Oak. Second decade 15th century 30 X 104 cm Mus. No. W.5 -1921
  • Charles Tracy, English Medieval Furniture and Woodwork (London, 1988), cat. no. 58 Door, one of two (mus. nos. W.5-1921, W.5a-1921), each being half of a pair of folding doors, from arched doorways. Each door, which is of slightly different design, is divided by ribs into four panels; on the lower part is a band of cusped arches (missing on one door); the upper part where the ribs intersect is filled with varieties of geometrical tracery. Each door has two iron strap hinges with ring sockets (PLS. 17a & b). From St Mary, Beverley, Yorkshire Oak. Mid 15th century 31 X 104 cm Mus. No. W.5a-1921 Acquired in 1921 from the Royal Architectural Museum, Westminster, having been sold at auction in 1851. The left-hand door (W5) belonged to the entrance doorway of the south porch, the building of which dates from the second quarter of the 15th century (See John Bilson, ‘St Mary's Church, Beverley’, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, XXVIII, 1926, p.340). The right-hand door (W.5a) is the eastern leaf from the south transept doorway. This part of the church was built c.1450-60 (See John Bilson, ‘St Mary’s Church, Beverley’, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, XXV, 1920, p.409-10), The other leaf of this door is still in situ and is the only medieval door that remains in the church. They were probably taken out and disposed of at the time of the restoration of these parts of the church under A.W.N. Pugin and his son, E.W. Pugin between 1844 and 1859 (See John Bilson, ‘St Mary’s Church, Beverley’, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, XXV, 1920, p. 401) and John Bilson, ‘St Mary's Church, Beverley’, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, XXVIII, 1926, p.340). These doors display the refinement of tracery drawing typical of the region during the first half of the fifteenth century, E.g. Boston Church, west door (FIG.10). The delicacy of handling, exploits the special characteristics of the medium.
Collection
Accession Number
W.5-1921

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL