Pair of Firedogs thumbnail 1
Pair of Firedogs thumbnail 2
+9
images
Not currently on display at the V&A

Pair of Firedogs

ca. 1830-1840 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Pair of cast-iron, Gothic-revival firedogs with stands on two scroll feet decorated with stylised roses and the 'standard' opening into a lozenge-shaped plaque, the edges of which are ornamented with four stylixed roses and curling foliage. In the centre of the plaque is the initial 'S' in brass. The firedogs terminate in brass finials in the shape of three leaves. A hook projects from the back of each firedog.

Object details

Categories
Object type
Parts
This object consists of 2 parts.

  • Firedog
  • Firedog
Materials and techniques
Cast iron and brass
Brief description
Pair of firedogs, cast iron and brass, probably made by John Hardman & Co., Birmingham, possibly adapted from a design by A.W.N. Pugin, ca. 1830-1840
Physical description
Pair of cast-iron, Gothic-revival firedogs with stands on two scroll feet decorated with stylised roses and the 'standard' opening into a lozenge-shaped plaque, the edges of which are ornamented with four stylixed roses and curling foliage. In the centre of the plaque is the initial 'S' in brass. The firedogs terminate in brass finials in the shape of three leaves. A hook projects from the back of each firedog.
Dimensions
  • M.244 1977 height: 65.0cm
  • M.244 1977 width: 23.5cm
  • M.244 1977 depth: 35.2cm
  • M.244 a 1977 height: 65.2cm
  • M.244 a 1977 width: 23.5cm
  • M.244 a 1977 depth: 35.3cm
Style
Gallery label
FIRE-DOGS (a pair) Cast iron and brass England; c.1830-40 M.244 & a-1977 With brass finials in the shape of three leaves, and lozenge-shaped plaques bearing the initial S. Probably made by John Hardman and Co., Birmingham. The design is thought to be adapted from one by A.W.N. Pugin (1812-52).
Object history
This firedog, and its pair, probably came from Scarisbrick Hall, Ormskirk, Lancashire, which may explain the letter 'S' on the centre if each panel. They most likely date from 1837-38 when Pugin was working for the Scarisbrick family. The design appears as No. 11 in a catalogue by John Hardman and Co, New Hall Hill, Birmingham from about 1875, a quarter of a century after Pugin's death.

Bibliographic references
  • Conway, M. Old English Firedogs. Apollo. March 1945. pp.77-79.
  • John Hardman & Co., Catalogue of designs for ecclesiastical metalwork and furnishings, print book, London; Birmingham, c. 1875, No. 11 (National Art Library 204.B.41)
Collection
Accession number
M.244&A-1977

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSON