Flute thumbnail 1
Flute thumbnail 2
+9
images
Not currently on display at the V&A

Flute

about 1892 (Made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Rudall, Carte & Co were the leading flute makers in London from the 1840s onwards, and traded from 20 Berner Street, London, the address engraved on this instrument, from 1878 until 1955. George Rudall (1781-1871) formed a partnership with John Mitchell (d. 1870), which Richard Carte (1808-1891) joined in 1850, and Mitchell left in 1865. Carte wrote music and instruction books for the flute. His son, Richard D'Oyly Carte (1844-1901) staged the first performances of Gilbert & Sulivan operas from 1875 onwards.


Object details

Category
Object type
Parts
This object consists of 3 parts.

  • Flute
  • Pitch Rod
  • Flute Case
Materials and techniques
chased silver
Brief description
English, silver, by Rudall, Carte & Co. about 1892
Physical description
'Silver, in two joints, the foot joint being integral to the main joint. Cylindrical Boehm system with open G sharp key. An engraved silver sleeve on the head joint gives this part its required outside diameter at the mouth-hole.' - Anthony Baines: Catalogue of Musical Instruments in the Victoria and Albert Museum - Part II: Non-keyboard instruments (London, 1998), p. 94.
Dimensions
  • Length: 64cm
Marks and inscriptions
Rudall Carte & Co. 23 Berners Street Oxford Street London W. (Engraved at the bottom of the head joint)
Credit line
Given to the Museum by Charles Gregone, Esq.
Object history
This instrument was given to the Museum by Charles Gregone, Esq., in 1945.
Summary
Rudall, Carte & Co were the leading flute makers in London from the 1840s onwards, and traded from 20 Berner Street, London, the address engraved on this instrument, from 1878 until 1955. George Rudall (1781-1871) formed a partnership with John Mitchell (d. 1870), which Richard Carte (1808-1891) joined in 1850, and Mitchell left in 1865. Carte wrote music and instruction books for the flute. His son, Richard D'Oyly Carte (1844-1901) staged the first performances of Gilbert & Sulivan operas from 1875 onwards.
Bibliographic reference
Anthony Baines: Catalogue of Musical Instruments in the Victoria and Albert Museum - Part II: Non-keyboard instruments. (London, 1998), p. 94.
Collection
Accession number
W.11:1-1945

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest