Longcase clock case
- Credit Line:
Purchased in 1879
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
This clock case was modified to accommodate a new movement, as the door which would open to the face has been altered in shape and given hinges (it is probable that the front originally did not open at all and the hood would lift off for the clock to be rewound). The single, large, rectangular marquetry door panel showing dragons, birds and arabesques is in contrast to the three separate marquetry panels with break-arch ends as seen on the case doors of the Clement and the Le Count. The circular lenticle appears to be made in bottle glass, like that of the Speakman. The original keys to both the lower and upper doors of this clock survive.
Object history note
Bought from Mr. Samuel How (3, St. Mary’s Passage, Cambridge). Bought for £15 6s 6d.
Condition: damaged, portions of inlay missing
LONG CLOCK CASE
Marquetry of walnut and other woods, about 1700
Furniture and Woodwork Collection