Not currently on display at the V&A

Plain Pine

Fork
1936 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Walter Patrick Belk initially designed this service for the tourist class (2nd class) dining room of the Queen Mary. It proved so popular that it was also used for another of Cunard’s transatlantic liners, the Queen Elizabeth, sister ship of the Queen Mary.

In the first half of the 20th century, Roberts and Belk were a well-known firm of manufacturing platers and silversmiths. They had been established in Sheffield in 1810. In 1901 the firm converted into a limited liability company, the first directors being Charles Belk and Walter Belk. In 1961 it was purchased by the London manufacturing silversmiths, C. J. Vander Ltd.

Traditionally, Roberts and Belk had a ‘high-class’ goods range – ‘ every piece designed by the firm’s own staff’. Walter Belk (1872-1963) was originally an architect. As director of this important firm, he was immensely supportive of the Goldsmiths’ Company’s schemes to improve design in silver. He was elected to the Livery of the Company in 1929.


Object details

Categories
Object type
TitlePlain Pine (manufacturer's title)
Materials and techniques
Electroplate, stamped
Brief description
Fork, part of a cutlery service, `Plain Pine', electroplate, Sheffield, made by Roberts and Belk, 1936, designed by Walter Patrick Belk.
Physical description
Fork, electroplate, three tines, the outer ones sloping slightly inwards, the handle a tapered stem reducing towards the bowl, chamfered edges and stamped with a fleche pattern.
Dimensions
  • Length: 17.2cm
  • Width: 1.9cm (maximum)
Style
Production typeMass produced
Marks and inscriptions
  • Romney Plate with the company logo (an oil lamp) in between
  • Rd.798068 (Registered design serial number)
Object history
The name of this service, Plain Pine arose because it was initially designed for the tourist class, (second class) pine panelled, dining room of the Cunard transatlantic passenger liner, Queen Mary. It proved so popular that it was also used on its sister ship, Queen Elizabeth.
Subject depicted
Summary
Walter Patrick Belk initially designed this service for the tourist class (2nd class) dining room of the Queen Mary. It proved so popular that it was also used for another of Cunard’s transatlantic liners, the Queen Elizabeth, sister ship of the Queen Mary.

In the first half of the 20th century, Roberts and Belk were a well-known firm of manufacturing platers and silversmiths. They had been established in Sheffield in 1810. In 1901 the firm converted into a limited liability company, the first directors being Charles Belk and Walter Belk. In 1961 it was purchased by the London manufacturing silversmiths, C. J. Vander Ltd.

Traditionally, Roberts and Belk had a ‘high-class’ goods range – ‘ every piece designed by the firm’s own staff’. Walter Belk (1872-1963) was originally an architect. As director of this important firm, he was immensely supportive of the Goldsmiths’ Company’s schemes to improve design in silver. He was elected to the Livery of the Company in 1929.
Associated objects
Collection
Accession number
CIRC.123A-1937

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSON