Not currently on display at the V&A

St. Simeon Stylites

Drawing
1861 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

William Burges was an architect and a leading figure in the Gothic Revival movement. His interest in medieval art led him to collect prints by Albrecht Dürer, and in this drawing he has closely emulated this master’s powerful, wiry line. The work illustrates a poem by Tennyson about a 5th-century Syrian saint who lived on a small platform on top of a pillar for 37 years.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
pen and ink
Brief Description
William Burges, 'St. Simeon Stylites', a drawing illustrating Tennyson's poem. 1861. Signed with monogram WB. Pen and Ink.
Physical Description
Drawing
Dimensions
  • From catalogue height: 38.5cm
  • From catalogue width: 27.7cm
Marks and Inscriptions
WB (Signed with monogram)
Credit line
Given by Miss Eleanor M. Hollyer, in memory of her father.
Object history
An entry in the artist's diary for the year 1861 reads: 'Finished S. Simeon Sylites'.



A sketch of the same subject exists in one of the artist's notebooks in the Drawings Library of the Royal Institute of the British Architects.
Literary Reference'St Simeon Stylites'. A poem by Tennyson.
Summary
William Burges was an architect and a leading figure in the Gothic Revival movement. His interest in medieval art led him to collect prints by Albrecht Dürer, and in this drawing he has closely emulated this master’s powerful, wiry line. The work illustrates a poem by Tennyson about a 5th-century Syrian saint who lived on a small platform on top of a pillar for 37 years.
Bibliographic References
  • Owens, Susan, The Art of Drawing British Masters And Methods Since 1600, V&A Publishing, London, 2013, p. 133, fig. 107
  • 213Colin Cruise Pre-Raphaelite Drawing London: Thames & Hudson, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-7093-0264-3
  • Pl.23 in The Designs of William Burges, A.R.A., edited by R P Pullan, London, 1883.
  • The drawing was reproduced on p.419, vol 26 of The Building News, 17 April 1874
Collection
Accession Number
E.445-1965

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 8, 2009
Record URL