Plan and elevation of 'Goose-Pie House', Whitehall

Design
ca. 1700 (made)
Plan and elevation of 'Goose-Pie House', Whitehall thumbnail 1
Plan and elevation of 'Goose-Pie House', Whitehall thumbnail 2
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Prints & Drawings Study Room, room 503
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

On 22 July 1700 Vanbrugh was granted leave to build a house in the ruins of the home of the Vice-Chamberlain, Vanbrugh's friend Peregrine Bertie. It had been destroyed by the fire at Whitehall in 1698. Castle Howard was in the process of being built, but Vanbrugh's own house at Whitehall was his first visible work in architecture. There was much criticism at the time in pamphlets and occasional broadsheets. Jonathan Swift first referred to Vanbrugh's House as `Goose-Py' in a poem of 1703, 'Vanbrug's House'. Poets, says Swift, come looking for the house and cannot find it until `at length they in the Rubbish spy / A Thing resembling a Goose Py'. Vanbrugh's small bachelor house originally stood on a site of demolition and redevelopment unlike any other house. Street houses were normally part of a terrace and only very grand houses in the town centre would have freestanding side elevations. This house was a departure from the expectations of the time. The front elevation has as its origins the end of the north wings of Castle Howard. It was demolished in 1898.

This drawing is part of the Vanbrugh Album from the Library at Elton Hall. The Album contains 254 drawings and includes works by Sir John Vanbrugh, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, William Talman, Nicholas Hawksmoor, Richard Castle and anonymous draughtsmen in Vanbrugh's office. It was created ca. 1945-54 and was purchased by Victoria and Albert Museum in 1992.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Pencil, pen and ink
Brief Description
Plan and elevation of 'Goose-Pie House', Whitehall; the Vanbrugh Album; circle of Sir John Vanbrugh; ca. 1700.
Physical Description
Plan and elevation of Goose-Pie House, Sir John Vanbrugh's house in Whitehall, built in 1701. The central three bays of the seven bay front are rusticated and the two outer bays project on the ground floor only. Scale: 1 inch to 7 feet.
Dimensions
  • Height: 32.4cm
  • Length: 24.8cm
Production typeUnique
Marks and Inscriptions
(Inscribed in ink with scale.)
Object history
On 22 July 1700 Vanbrugh was granted leave to build a house in the ruins of the home of the Vice-Chamberlain, Vanbrugh's friend Peregrine Bertie. It had been destroyed by the fire at Whitehall in 1698. Castle Howard was in the process of being built, but Vanbrugh's own house at Whitehall was his first visible work in architecture. There was much criticism at the time in pamphlets and occasional broadsheets. Jonathan Swift first referred to Vanbrugh's House as `Goose-Py' in a poem of 1703, 'Vanbrug's House'. Poets, says Swift, come looking for the house and cannot find it until `at length they in the Rubbish spy / A Thing resembling a Goose Py'. Vanbrugh's small bachelor house originally stood on a site of demolition and redevelopment unlike any other house. Street houses were normally part of a terrace and only very grand houses in the town centre would have freestanding side elevations. This house was a departure from the expectations of the time. The front elevation has as its origins the end of the north wings of Castle Howard. It was demolished in 1898. See Downes (1987).



Part of the Vanbrugh Album, which was purchased in 1992 with the aid of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the National Art Collections Fund, The Monument Trust, The Sainsbury Trust, and an anonymous donor.
Subjects depicted
Summary
On 22 July 1700 Vanbrugh was granted leave to build a house in the ruins of the home of the Vice-Chamberlain, Vanbrugh's friend Peregrine Bertie. It had been destroyed by the fire at Whitehall in 1698. Castle Howard was in the process of being built, but Vanbrugh's own house at Whitehall was his first visible work in architecture. There was much criticism at the time in pamphlets and occasional broadsheets. Jonathan Swift first referred to Vanbrugh's House as `Goose-Py' in a poem of 1703, 'Vanbrug's House'. Poets, says Swift, come looking for the house and cannot find it until `at length they in the Rubbish spy / A Thing resembling a Goose Py'. Vanbrugh's small bachelor house originally stood on a site of demolition and redevelopment unlike any other house. Street houses were normally part of a terrace and only very grand houses in the town centre would have freestanding side elevations. This house was a departure from the expectations of the time. The front elevation has as its origins the end of the north wings of Castle Howard. It was demolished in 1898.



This drawing is part of the Vanbrugh Album from the Library at Elton Hall. The Album contains 254 drawings and includes works by Sir John Vanbrugh, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, William Talman, Nicholas Hawksmoor, Richard Castle and anonymous draughtsmen in Vanbrugh's office. It was created ca. 1945-54 and was purchased by Victoria and Albert Museum in 1992.
Bibliographic References
  • Lorimer, C. and Newton, C. (ed.), The collection of drawings by Sir John Vanbrugh and his circle in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London: V & A, 1996, p. 52, cat. 133.
  • Downes, K., Sir John Vanbrugh: A Biography, 1987, pp. 223-233.
Collection
Accession Number
E.2124:112-1992

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 25, 2009
Record URL