Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Gold, Silver and Mosaics, Room 72, The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Galleries

Picture

1820 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The landscape and natural waterfalls of the Italian mountain town of Tivoli were great attractions to tourists in the 19th century. Among the many ancient ruins nearby was the villa of Hadrian, the ancient Roman Emperor, with its famous mosaic floor, which was uncovered in 1737.

Sir Arthur Gilbert and his wife Rosalinde formed one of the world's great decorative art collections, including silver, mosaics, enamelled portrait miniatures and gold boxes. Arthur Gilbert donated his extraordinary collection to Britain in 1996.


object details
Category
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 2 parts.

  • Picture
  • Frame
Materials and Techniques
Micromosaic, gilt wood frame
Brief Description
Micromosaic view of Tivoli, Giovanni Morelli, Rome, c. 1825.
Physical Description
Rectangular micromosaic depicting a view of Tivoli and the Marmora Falls. The mountain town can be seen in the upper right and in the lower foreground the cascading river with two figures in peasant costume.
Dimensions
  • Height: 38.7cm (mosaic only)
  • Width: 29.8cm (mosaic only)
  • Including frame height: 54.2cm
  • Including frame width: 45.5cm
  • Frame depth: 5.0cm
Marks and Inscriptions
Signed on lower left 'Gio.Morelli Fece 1820'
Gallery Label
  • Views of Tivoli 1820 The landscape and natural waterfalls of the Italian mountain town of Tivoli were great attractions to tourists in the 19th century. Among the many ancient ruins nearby was the villa of Hadrian, the ancient Roman Emperor, with its famous mosaic floor uncovered in 1737. Rome, Italy: Giovanni Morelli (active 1800-1825) Glass micromosaic Museum no.Loan: Gilbert.226:1,2-2008(2009)
Credit line
The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Collection on loan to the Victoria and Albert Museum, London
Object history
Provenance: Antique Lovers Coterie, 1971.



Historical significance: Tivoli was in the region known as Tibur in the period of the Roman Republic. Named after Tiburnus (circa 500 BC) the Tiburtines were defeated by the Romans at Lake Regillus in 498 BC. Forty years later the town became a place of exile for important prisoners of state. The Tiburtines were given citizenship in 90BC and the town became a fashionable retreat.



Giovanni Morelli was born in Brescia in 1804 and studied with the famous hardstone artist Giacomo Raffaelli. Morelli worked at the Vatican under Napoleon (1804-9). There is an important hardstone snuffbox apparently signed 'S.Morelli via della Srofa N.8' in the Gilbert Collection which can be attributed to Giovanni Morelli. He worrked as a sculptor and stone carver on inlaid furniture, candelabra and picture frames and produced carved stone flowers and birds.
Historical context
The scene depicts the Italian mountain town of Tivoli and the Marmora Falls on the Velino River. Tourists were as intrigued by these natural wonders as by the ancient Roman ruins at Tivoli including the villa of the Emperor Hadrian and the Temple of the Sibyl. The famous floor mosaic of the Capitoline Doves was discovered at Hadrian's Villa in 1737.
Summary
The landscape and natural waterfalls of the Italian mountain town of Tivoli were great attractions to tourists in the 19th century. Among the many ancient ruins nearby was the villa of Hadrian, the ancient Roman Emperor, with its famous mosaic floor, which was uncovered in 1737.



Sir Arthur Gilbert and his wife Rosalinde formed one of the world's great decorative art collections, including silver, mosaics, enamelled portrait miniatures and gold boxes. Arthur Gilbert donated his extraordinary collection to Britain in 1996.
Bibliographic Reference
Avery, Charles, assisted by Arthur Emperatori. Mosaics from the Gilbert Collection: summary catalogue. Exhibition catalogue Victoria & Albert Museum. London: H.M.S.O. 1975, cat. no. 21.
Other Numbers
  • MM 88 - Arthur Gilbert Number
  • MM 2 - Arthur Gilbert Number
Collection
Accession Number
LOAN:GILBERT.226:1, 2-2008

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 26, 2008
Record URL