Hanging thumbnail 1
Hanging thumbnail 2
+1
images
Not currently on display at the V&A

Hanging

1966 (made), 1926 (designed)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Anni Albers studied weaving because it was the only course open to women at the Weimar Bauhaus, an institution founded by Walter Gropius (1883-1969) to train architects, artists and industrial designers. Its aim was to unite architecture and the fine and applied arts. Anni Albers often looked to her colleague Gunta Stölzl for inspiration and technical advice and eventually succeeded her as Director of the weaving workshop.

Albers argued for the need for craft-based design. She encouraged designers to become familiar with the fibres and textures which would be used and not to think of design solely in terms of linear patterns.

The original weaving of this important hanging was destroyed during the Second World War. It was rewoven by Gunta Stölzl and 'AA' is embroidered in the bottom right hand corner.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Triple weave, silk and rayon, linen Brenda Keneghan of V&A Conservation Science carried out tests on the fibres in January 2020. The results were as follows: White warp = Cuprammonium rayon White weft = silk Yellow warp = Hemp or ramie or cuprammonium silk – too close to really distinguish between them. Black warp = Hemp or ramie or cuprammonium silk – too close to really distinguish between them. Frances Hartog of V&A textile conservation added the following comment: Cuprammonium ‘silk’ is a type of rayon. I think this is more likely to be correct than the possibility of hemp being used.
Brief Description
Triple weave wall-hanging of silk and rayon, designed by Anni Albers, 1926/7, woven under the supervision of Gunta Stölzl, Germany, 1966.

Physical Description
Hanging of triple weave construction of cream silk and black and yellow rayon. With a geometric design in black, white and yellow rectangular divisions. Silk warp and weft. The grey tones are created by weft and warp combination of two sets of warp threads, one set white and the other black. The rectangles are formed by a simple tabby weave. The hanging is sewn to a grey linen and the last two inches, top and bottom, are sewn over to form sleeves for the battens.
Dimensions
  • Length: 2076mm
  • Width: 1214mm
  • Length: 80in
  • Width: 47in
  • Length: 1194mm (Note: Length of velcro attached along top back)
Marks and Inscriptions
'AA' [monogram] (Embroidered in black thread below the right corner)
Gallery Label
Anni Albers studied weaving simply because it was the only course open to women at the Weimar Bauhaus, an institution founded by Walter Gropius [1883-1969] to train architects, artists and industrial designers. Its aim was to unite architecture and the fine and applied arts. Anni Albers often looked to her colleauge Gunta Stölzl for inspiration and technical advice and eventually succeeded her as Director of the weaving workshop. Albers argued for the need for craft-based design and encouraged designers to become familiar with the fibres and textures which would be used and not to think of design solely in terms of linear patterns.(1995)
Production
The original weaving of this important hanging was destroyed during the Second World War; it was rewoven under the supervision of Gunta Stölzl in an edition of three. One of these is in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 'AA' is embroidered in the bottom right hand corner.
Summary
Anni Albers studied weaving because it was the only course open to women at the Weimar Bauhaus, an institution founded by Walter Gropius (1883-1969) to train architects, artists and industrial designers. Its aim was to unite architecture and the fine and applied arts. Anni Albers often looked to her colleague Gunta Stölzl for inspiration and technical advice and eventually succeeded her as Director of the weaving workshop.



Albers argued for the need for craft-based design. She encouraged designers to become familiar with the fibres and textures which would be used and not to think of design solely in terms of linear patterns.



The original weaving of this important hanging was destroyed during the Second World War. It was rewoven by Gunta Stölzl and 'AA' is embroidered in the bottom right hand corner.
Bibliographic Reference
Takahiko Sano (ed.) The European Art of Textiles, Osaka : NKH Kinki Medi Plan, 1995no.151
Collection
Accession Number
CIRC.534-1968

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 15, 1999
Record URL