Fruit Dish thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Ceramics, Room 138, The Harry and Carol Djanogly Gallery

Fruit Dish

ca. 1770 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Fruit dish of cream-coloured earthenware (Queen's ware), covered with lead glaze. Oval with quatrefoil rim and shell edge. Painted in purple enamel with convolvulus and jasmine sprays and a rose-bud.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Lead-glazed earthenware, painted in purple enamel
Brief Description
Fruit dish of Queen's ware, lead-glazed earthenware enamelled in purple with sprays of flowers, made at the factory of Josiah Wedgwood, Etruria, Staffordshire, ca. 1770
Physical Description
Fruit dish of cream-coloured earthenware (Queen's ware), covered with lead glaze. Oval with quatrefoil rim and shell edge. Painted in purple enamel with convolvulus and jasmine sprays and a rose-bud.
Dimensions
  • Length: 32.7cm
  • Width: 22.2cm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • 'WEDGWOOD' (Impressed)
  • 'B' (Painted in purple)
Gallery Label
Dish Made at the factory of Josiah Wedgwood, Etruria, Staffordshire, about 1770 Marks: 'WEDGWOOD' , impressed and 'B', painted in purple Lead-glazed earthenware, enamelled in purple with sprays of flowers 2322-1901 Jermyn Street Collection(23/05/2008)
Credit line
Transferred from the Museum of Practical Geology, Jermyn Street
Object history
Jermyn Street Collection

Hilary Young states in the Genius of Wedgwood exhibition catalogue (see below): 'This dish is identical to those in the Husk Service ordered in 1770 by Catherine the Great, part of which survives at the Palace of Petrofdvorets (Perhof), St Petersburg.'
Subjects depicted
Associated Object
C.70-1914 (Design)
Bibliographic Reference
Young, Hilary (ed.). The Genius of Wedgwood. London : Victoria & Albert Museum, 1995D25See pp. 51,71 and 76 for information about the Chelsea Decorating Studio in Cheyne Row, opened by Wedgwood and managed by his business partner Thomas Bentley in 1768. This piece and the previous catalogue entry, D24 (C70-1914) were decorated there, following the pattern of the Husk Service ordered by the Empress of Russia.
Collection
Accession Number
2322-1901

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 31, 2008
Record URL