Brooch thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Jewellery, Rooms 91, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery

Brooch

ca. 1900 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

On the reverse of this brooch, struck into the gold above the pendent pearl, is the trade mark of Child and Child, two Cs. Walter Child (1840-1930) and Harold Child (1848-1915) were brothers who founded their jewellery business in Seville Street, London, in 1880. They became known for their artistic jewellery, including jewels made for Sir Edward Burne-Jones. By 1892 the firm had moved to 35 Alfred Place West (now Thurloe Street). Their mark of two Cs and a sunflower can still be seen on no. 35 by visitors who come out of South Kensington Underground Station in Thurloe Street (on the route above ground to the V&A).

In 1899 the partnership was dissolved and the firm continued trading under the same name in the ownership of Harold Child until his death in 1915. In 1913 the firm listed amongst its patrons, the late Queen Victoria, the late King Edward VII, King George V, the late Empress Frederick of Prussia, and the Tsarina of Russia.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Enamelled gold and silver set with amethyst and hung with a pearl
Brief Description
Brooch of silver, gold, amethyst, enamel and a pearl, made by Child & Child, London, about 1900.
Physical Description
Brooch made of gold, silver, amethyst, enamel and a pearl.
Dimensions
  • Height: 3.4cm
  • Width: 3.6cm
  • Depth: 1.0cm
Marks and Inscriptions
Two Cs and a sunflower (Trade mark of Child and Child struck on the back of the brooch above the pendent pearl)
Credit line
Given by the American Friends of the V&A through the generosity of Patricia V. Goldstein
Summary
On the reverse of this brooch, struck into the gold above the pendent pearl, is the trade mark of Child and Child, two Cs. Walter Child (1840-1930) and Harold Child (1848-1915) were brothers who founded their jewellery business in Seville Street, London, in 1880. They became known for their artistic jewellery, including jewels made for Sir Edward Burne-Jones. By 1892 the firm had moved to 35 Alfred Place West (now Thurloe Street). Their mark of two Cs and a sunflower can still be seen on no. 35 by visitors who come out of South Kensington Underground Station in Thurloe Street (on the route above ground to the V&A).



In 1899 the partnership was dissolved and the firm continued trading under the same name in the ownership of Harold Child until his death in 1915. In 1913 the firm listed amongst its patrons, the late Queen Victoria, the late King Edward VII, King George V, the late Empress Frederick of Prussia, and the Tsarina of Russia.
Other Numbers
  • LOAN:AMERICANFRIENDS.80-2003 - Previous loan number
  • 36 - Goldstein Collection number
Collection
Accession Number
M.99-2007

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 6, 2007
Record URL