Church Furniture

Watercolour
1851 (made)
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Prints & Drawings Study Room, level H
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The Great Exhibition of 1851 took place at Hyde Park in a revolutionary glass and iron building known as the 'Crystal Palace'. It included over 13,000 exhibits and was the first international exhibition of manufactured products.

The exhibition attracted more than six million visitors, equivalent to a third of the population of Great Britain. This watercolour is from a group of images reproduced as colour lithographs in Recollections of the Great Exhibition, a lavish contemporary souvenir guide. The profits from the Great Exhibition were used to fund several science and art initiatives in South Kensington. They included what is now the Victoria and Albert Museum, whose earliest surviving building was erected in 1857.

This work shows a display of church furnishings and fabrics by the Bolton draper Gilbert French. A small advertisement for the firm can be seen in the lower left corner. Exhibits from the display of heavy machinery are visible in the right background.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Watercolour and gouache over pencil on paper
Brief Description
Interior view of the Great Exhibition - 'Church Furniture', by Edwin Thomas Dolby, 1851
Physical Description
Watercolour drawing
Dimensions
  • Height: 27.3cm
  • Width: 37.3cm
Credit line
Purchased with Art Fund support and assistance from the Friends of the Victoria & Albert Museum and the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
Subject depicted
Place Depicted
Summary
The Great Exhibition of 1851 took place at Hyde Park in a revolutionary glass and iron building known as the 'Crystal Palace'. It included over 13,000 exhibits and was the first international exhibition of manufactured products.



The exhibition attracted more than six million visitors, equivalent to a third of the population of Great Britain. This watercolour is from a group of images reproduced as colour lithographs in Recollections of the Great Exhibition, a lavish contemporary souvenir guide. The profits from the Great Exhibition were used to fund several science and art initiatives in South Kensington. They included what is now the Victoria and Albert Museum, whose earliest surviving building was erected in 1857.



This work shows a display of church furnishings and fabrics by the Bolton draper Gilbert French. A small advertisement for the firm can be seen in the lower left corner. Exhibits from the display of heavy machinery are visible in the right background.
Associated Object
19538:8 (Reproduction)
Bibliographic Reference
Julius Bryant, ed. Art and Design for All. The Victoria and Albert Museum London: V&A Publishing, 2011. ISBN: 9781851776665.
Collection
Accession Number
E.13-2007

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMay 16, 2007
Record URL