Ring thumbnail 1
Ring thumbnail 2
+1
images
Not currently on display at the V&A

Ring

1965 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Wendy Ramshaw CBE (born 1939 in Sunderland) has been associated with the V&A since the 1970s. One of the most important British artist jewellers and designers of the post war period, she has worked in paper, acrylic and precious metals. She trained as a textile designer and illustrator at Newcastle upon Tyne College of Art and Industrial Design from 1956-60 and then at Reading University where she met her husband, jeweller and designer David Watkins. She completed post-graduate studies at the Central School of Art and Design in 1969 and her work was acquired for the Goldsmiths Company collection by Graham Hughes. She became a freewoman (one of the first two women to be admitted) and later Lady Liveryman of the Goldsmiths Company and was awarded an OBE in 1993 and a CBE in 2003.

Wendy Ramshaw’s earliest jewellery was made of paper or acrylic. This gold and pearl ring was made in 1965 and is one of her first pieces of jewellery in precious metal. It was bought from the Crafts Centre of Great Britain for £5 5s by Marion Maule, who was then secretary at the Brewing Industry Research Foundation in Reigate. She bought the ring whilst in London for a dentist trip and spent her week’s food money on it. The textured gold surface of the ring contrasts with the polished surface of Wendy Ramshaw's later work but the abstract geometric design suggests some of the themes which she subsequently explored. Although the ring is not hallmarked, luckily the donor kept the original receipt from the Crafts Centre.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Gold and pearl
Brief Description
Gold and pearl ring by Wendy Ramshaw, London, 1965.
Physical Description
Wide gold band with a hammered finish. The front of the band comprises of a group of gold globules of varying sizes which have been soldered to the band and are loosely arranged around a high gold collet holding a pearl.
Dimensions
  • Width: 1.9cm
  • Height: 0.9cm
  • Depth: 2.2cm
Production typeUnique
Marks and Inscriptions
Unmarked (The ring does not bear a hallmark or maker's mark which is unusual for a piece of jewellery sold as gold. )
Credit line
Given by Marion Maule
Object history
This ring is believed to be the first piece of gold jewellery sold by the British designer and jeweller Wendy Ramshaw. It was purchased from the Crafts Centre of Great Britain (16-17 Hay Hill, London, W1) by Marion Maule for £5 5s in 1965, 15 shillings of which was purchase tax. The original receipt is on the acquisitions RF.
Summary
Wendy Ramshaw CBE (born 1939 in Sunderland) has been associated with the V&A since the 1970s. One of the most important British artist jewellers and designers of the post war period, she has worked in paper, acrylic and precious metals. She trained as a textile designer and illustrator at Newcastle upon Tyne College of Art and Industrial Design from 1956-60 and then at Reading University where she met her husband, jeweller and designer David Watkins. She completed post-graduate studies at the Central School of Art and Design in 1969 and her work was acquired for the Goldsmiths Company collection by Graham Hughes. She became a freewoman (one of the first two women to be admitted) and later Lady Liveryman of the Goldsmiths Company and was awarded an OBE in 1993 and a CBE in 2003.



Wendy Ramshaw’s earliest jewellery was made of paper or acrylic. This gold and pearl ring was made in 1965 and is one of her first pieces of jewellery in precious metal. It was bought from the Crafts Centre of Great Britain for £5 5s by Marion Maule, who was then secretary at the Brewing Industry Research Foundation in Reigate. She bought the ring whilst in London for a dentist trip and spent her week’s food money on it. The textured gold surface of the ring contrasts with the polished surface of Wendy Ramshaw's later work but the abstract geometric design suggests some of the themes which she subsequently explored. Although the ring is not hallmarked, luckily the donor kept the original receipt from the Crafts Centre.

Collection
Accession Number
M.3-2015

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 24, 2015
Record URL