Copy of a Font thumbnail 1
Copy of a Font thumbnail 2
+1
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Cast Courts, The Ruddock Family Cast Court, Room 46A

Copy of a Font

ca. 1860 (cast), ca. 1150-75 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The cast is taken from a 12th-century stone font that was well-known in the 19th century. Scholars had discussed its inscription written in runes for hundreds of years, and most guidebooks to Cumbria noted that the church where it was situated was of great interest. The figure holding a chisel is the sculptor of the font himself, Richard. This detail would have been especially significant for the South Kensington Museum (now the V&A), as its mission was to highlight the work of sculptors, artists and designers.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Painted plaster cast
Brief Description
Plaster cast of a font with a representation of the Baptism of Christ and symbolic beasts, made in England about 1860. The original was made by Master Richard in about 1150-75.

Physical Description
Plaster cast of a font with representations of the Baptism of Christ, symbolical beasts, the figure of the sculptor holding a chisel, and a runic inscription.
Dimensions
  • Height: 64cm
Production typeCopy
Marks and Inscriptions
Runic inscription
Gallery Label
Cast of Master Richard Font About 1150–75 The cast is taken from a 12th-century stone font that was well-known in the 19th century. Scholars had discussed its inscription written in runes for hundreds of years, and most guidebooks to Cumbria noted that the church where it was situated was of great interest. The figure holding a chisel is the sculptor of the font himself, Richard. This detail would have been especially significant for the South Kensington Museum (now the V&A), as its mission was to highlight the work of sculptors, artists and designers. Cast About 1860 Painted plaster England Given by F.B.L. Dykes, Esquire Museum no. Repro.1863-26 Original Limestone Cumbria, England In the church of St Bridget, Bridekirk (21/06/2018)
Credit line
Given by FBL Dykes, Esq.
Object history
Cast of a font depicting the Baptism of Christ and symbolic beasts, made in plaster in England about 1860, and given by F.B.L. Dykes, Esq in 1863. The original was sculpted by Master Richard from Limsetone in Cumbria about 1150-75. The original is in the church of St Bridget, Bridekirk.
Historical context
Making plaster copies is a centuries-old tradition that reached the height of its popularity during the 19th century. The V&A's casts are of large-scale architectural and sculptural works as well as small scale, jewelled book covers and ivory plaques, these last known as fictile ivories.



The Museum commissioned casts directly from makers and acquired others in exchange. Oronzio Lelli, of Florence was a key overseas supplier while, in London, Giovanni Franchi and Domenico Brucciani upheld a strong Italian tradition as highly-skilled mould-makers, or formatori.



Some casts are highly accurate depictions of original works, whilst others are more selective, replicating the outer surface of the original work, rather than its whole structure. Like a photograph, they record the moment the cast was taken: alterations, repairs and the wear and tear of age are all reproduced in the copies. The plasters can also be re-worked, so that their appearance differs slightly from the original from which they were taken.



To make a plaster cast, a negative mould has to be taken of the original object. The initial mould could be made from one of several ways. A flexible mould could be made by mixing wax with gutta-percha, a rubbery latex product taken from tropical trees. These two substances formed a mould that had a slightly elastic quality, so that it could easily be removed from the original object. Moulds were also made from gelatine, plaster or clay, and could then be used to create a plaster mould to use for casting.

When mixed with water, plaster can be poured into a prepared mould, allowed to set, and can be removed to produce a finished solid form. The moulds are coated with a separating or paring agent to prevent the newly poured plaster sticking to them. The smooth liquid state and slight expansion while setting allowed the quick drying plaster to infill even the most intricate contours of a mould.

Flatter, smaller objects in low relief usually require only one mould to cast the object. For more complex objects, with a raised surface, the mould would have to be made from a number of sections, known as piece-moulds. These pieces are held together in the so-called mother-mould, in order to create a mould of the whole object. Once the object has been cast from this mother-mould, the piece-moulds can be easily removed one by one, to create a cast of the three-dimensional object.
Subjects depicted
Summary
The cast is taken from a 12th-century stone font that was well-known in the 19th century. Scholars had discussed its inscription written in runes for hundreds of years, and most guidebooks to Cumbria noted that the church where it was situated was of great interest. The figure holding a chisel is the sculptor of the font himself, Richard. This detail would have been especially significant for the South Kensington Museum (now the V&A), as its mission was to highlight the work of sculptors, artists and designers.
Collection
Accession Number
REPRO.1863-26

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdSeptember 28, 2006
Record URL