Not currently on display at the V&A

Silk Programme

1900 (printed)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Silk programme on cream silk in blue typography with cream fringe applied all round. Listing the proprietors, the directors, the architect, the conductor, the stage manager and the managers, noting that the performances were twice-daily at 2pm and 8pm, and listing all the acts, the ticket prices and box office details.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Printed silk
Brief Description
Silk programme produced for the variety programme for the Grand Opening Night of the London Hippodrome, 15 January 1900.
Physical Description
Silk programme on cream silk in blue typography with cream fringe applied all round. Listing the proprietors, the directors, the architect, the conductor, the stage manager and the managers, noting that the performances were twice-daily at 2pm and 8pm, and listing all the acts, the ticket prices and box office details.
Dimensions
  • Height: 38.5cm
  • Width: 31.5cm
Marks and Inscriptions
Object history
The London Hippodrome, designed by the architect Frank Matcham was a Moss Empires Theatre. This silk programme was produced for the opening night of the theatre, 15th

January 1900, when the acts included a wire act by James and Amelia Jee, haute ecole by Miss Godlewski, the clowns the Brothers Weldermann, Mlle Arnotis 'the Queen of Athletes', Little Tony, a boy vaulting act, Lavater, Lee and his Bucking Mule, Herr Julius Seeth with his forest bred lions, the Jackson Family, instrumentalists, Bros. Permané, Miss Lea, equestrienne, Charles Jee, juggler, Mlle. Amalia, equestrienne, Auguste, Lavater Lee and Oscar Lee, clowns, and an amphibious buretta entitled Giddy Ostend. The costumes were credited as by Moris Angel & Sons from designs by Herbert Norris. The equestrian director was Mr. Hugo Herzog, the Ring Master Mr. Otho Twig, and the orchestra , performers and chorus were directed by Mr. Georges Jacobi.
Associated Object
S.223-1981 (Object)
Collection
Accession Number
S.237-1991

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdSeptember 26, 2006
Record URL