Window frame thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Cast Courts, Room 46b, The Weston Cast Court

Window frame

Plaster Cast
ca. 1473-80 (sculpted), ca. 1867 (cast)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This is a plaster cast of one of the marble window frames which Amadeo carved for the Certosa (Charterhouse) in Pavia, in Lombardy. In 1473, the brothers Cristoforo (d. 1482) and Antonio (d. 1495) Mantegazza were contracted to construct the facade of the Certosa. However in 1474 a half share in this facade was allotted to Amadeo, who seems to have assumed direction of the work from that date on. The elaborate decoration includes putti, swags, medallions and foliate reliefs. The plaster cast was made by an Italian firm based in Milan.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Plaster cast
Brief Description
Plaster cast window after the original by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo, Lombardy, cast by Pietro Pierotti about 1867
Physical Description
Plaster cast taken from the marble original by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo and associates from the facade of the church of the Certosa, Pavia.
Dimensions
  • Height: 767.5cm
  • Width: 47.3cm
Object history
Purchased from Pietro Pierotti in 1867 for £160
Historical context
In 1473, the brothers Cristoforo (d. 1480) and Antonio (d. 1495) Mantegazza contracted to construct the facade of the Certosa of Pavia. However, in 1474, a half share in this facade was allotted to Amadeo, who seems to have assumed direction of the work from this time on.
Subjects depicted
Summary
This is a plaster cast of one of the marble window frames which Amadeo carved for the Certosa (Charterhouse) in Pavia, in Lombardy. In 1473, the brothers Cristoforo (d. 1482) and Antonio (d. 1495) Mantegazza were contracted to construct the facade of the Certosa. However in 1474 a half share in this facade was allotted to Amadeo, who seems to have assumed direction of the work from that date on. The elaborate decoration includes putti, swags, medallions and foliate reliefs. The plaster cast was made by an Italian firm based in Milan.
Collection
Accession Number
REPRO.1867-39

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 7, 1999
Record URL