Tomb of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza thumbnail 1
Tomb of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza thumbnail 2
+3
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Cast Courts, Room 46b, The Weston Cast Court

Tomb of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza

Plaster Cast
1505-1509 (sculpted), 1852-1854 (cast)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Pope Julius II (1503-13) erected a tomb to the memory of his former enemy, Ascanio Sforza, who was the younger brother of Ludovico il Moro, the Duke of Milan (1451-1508). The project for the tomb was first mentioned in a papal brief of 12 June, 1505, less than three weeks after Ascanio's death. The monument is located in the Cappella Maggiore of Santa Maria del Popolo in Rome.

This is one of a number of casts which came to the Museum after the disastrous fire at the Crystal Palace at Sydenham in 1936. The Palace itself was destroyed, as were many of the contents, but some plaster casts were salvaged from the inferno, and presented to the Victoria and Albert Museum.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Plaster cast
Brief Description
Plaster cast, of the tomb of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza in Rome, after an original by Andrea Sansovino, cast ca. 1852-4
Physical Description
Plaster cast, the tomb of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza, after an original by Andrea Sansovino. Inscribed: 'Andreas Sansovinvs Faciebat'
Marks and Inscriptions
Inscribed: 'Andreas Sansovinvs Faciebat' (Maker's name)
Credit line
Given by the Trustees of the Crystal Palace
Object history
Given by the Trustees of the Crystal Palace in 1938
Historical context
Signed ANDREAS SANSOVINVS FACIEBAT. Pope Julius II (1503-13) erected this tomb to the memory of his erstwhile adversary Ascanio Sforza (d. 28 May 1505), the son of Francesca Sforza and brother of Ludovico il Moro, the Duke of Milan (1452-1508). In the corresponding position on the right wall of the choir, the Pope commissioned from Andrea Sansovino a closely similar tomb for his nephew, Cardinal Girolamo Basso della Rovere (d. 1507). The project for the tomb of Ascanio Sforza was first mentioned in a papal brief of 12 June, 1505, less than three weeks after his death. Both the Sforza and Basso monuments must have been completed by 3 June, 1509, when they were praised by Francesco Albertini. Because of their close resemblance, it has been suggested that Julius II projected the two monuments together from before the death of his nephew in 1507, as part of the re-modelling of the choir of S. Maria del Popolo undertaken by Bramante (1443/4-1514) at this time.
Production
This object is a 19th century cast of the 16th century original.
Subjects depicted
Summary
Pope Julius II (1503-13) erected a tomb to the memory of his former enemy, Ascanio Sforza, who was the younger brother of Ludovico il Moro, the Duke of Milan (1451-1508). The project for the tomb was first mentioned in a papal brief of 12 June, 1505, less than three weeks after Ascanio's death. The monument is located in the Cappella Maggiore of Santa Maria del Popolo in Rome.



This is one of a number of casts which came to the Museum after the disastrous fire at the Crystal Palace at Sydenham in 1936. The Palace itself was destroyed, as were many of the contents, but some plaster casts were salvaged from the inferno, and presented to the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Collection
Accession Number
REPRO.A.1938-12

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 7, 1999
Record URL