Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Cast Courts, Room 46b, The Weston Cast Court

Monument to Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole

Plaster Cast
1454-1457 (sculpted), ca. 1888 (cast)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Although this cast is monochrome, the original tomb is a combination of white marble and coloured terracotta: the frieze of flowers around the effigy is of terracotta enamelled over a layer of gold leaf. Behind are shown devotional figures of Christ, the Virgin and St John the Evangelist, while the Latin inscription identifies Federighi and his achievements.



object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Plaster cast
Brief Description
Plaster cast monument to Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole, after marble and terracotta original by Luca della Robbia, Italy, cast. ca. 1888
Physical Description
Plaster cast of monument originally made in marble with glazed terracotta. This cast was taken the monument to Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole by Luca della Robbia and is housed in the church of S. Trinità, Florence. Purchased from Berlin.
Dimensions
  • Height: 221cm
  • Width: 198.5cm
Object history
Acquired in exchange from the Berlin Museum in 1888 for £20 (400 marks)
Historical context
The tomb for Benozzo Federighi, Bishop of Fiesole (d. 1450), was commissioned for the north wall of the transept beside the Federighi chapel in the church of S. Pancrazio, where it was set high in the wall. It was moved to near the side door, then removed to the Federighi chapel of S. Francesco di Paola, and was only set up in its present location in 1896. The main part of the tomb is of marble, while the frieze of flowers around it is of terracotta enamelled in colours over a layer of gold leaf.
Subjects depicted
Summary
Although this cast is monochrome, the original tomb is a combination of white marble and coloured terracotta: the frieze of flowers around the effigy is of terracotta enamelled over a layer of gold leaf. Behind are shown devotional figures of Christ, the Virgin and St John the Evangelist, while the Latin inscription identifies Federighi and his achievements.



Collection
Accession Number
REPRO.1888-520

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 7, 1999
Record URL