Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Ceramics, Room 139, The Curtain Foundation Gallery

Vase

1878 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Pierre-Justin Gibus (1821-1897), with Alpinien Margaine (1825-78) and Martial Redon, took over an existing hard paste porcelain factory in Limoges in 1853. Gibus was in charge of the technical side while Margaine, who had been trained in fine arts, was responsible for much of the design. The new company made table services and ornamental wares, some of which were decorated at other factories, including that of Haviland. They exhibited in international exhibitions in Paris in 1855, where they were much praised for the whiteness of the porcelain and the beauty of its designs, and as was this vase, in 1878. The company became Gibus & Redon in the early 1870s and, when Gibus retired, in 1881, Redon &Cie. However, they were already exhibiting as 'le Maison Redon' in 1878. In 1914 the factory passed to the conglomerate Porcelaine Limousine. This vase is a particularly exquisite example of porcelain in the very fashionable 'Japanese taste' by a company that was often thought to rival Sèvres.


Object details

Categories
Object type
Materials and techniques
Hard-paste porcelain with painted and gilded decoration
Brief description
Vase, hard paste porcelain with painted and gilded decoration, made by Redon, French (Limoges), 1878
Physical description
Vase, two handled, decorated in colours and gilt with plants and a tree stem in 'Japanese' style.
Dimensions
  • Height: 24.8cm
Marks and inscriptions
'1755' in red script; 'M.Redon Limoges' within a circle, printed in red; 'MR' printed in green
Gallery label
VASE C12-1975 'American and European Art and Design 1800-1900' The firm of Redon, formerly Gibus et Redon, specialised in table services and toilet wares as well as a successful range of expensive and highly decorated pieces with applied slip on high-fired paste (hard paste) an gilded, as in this example. In 1914 the factory passed to the conglomerate Porcelain Limousine. Given by Mr. C. J. Thorpe(1987-2006)
Credit line
Given by Mr C. J. Thorpe
Subject depicted
Summary
Pierre-Justin Gibus (1821-1897), with Alpinien Margaine (1825-78) and Martial Redon, took over an existing hard paste porcelain factory in Limoges in 1853. Gibus was in charge of the technical side while Margaine, who had been trained in fine arts, was responsible for much of the design. The new company made table services and ornamental wares, some of which were decorated at other factories, including that of Haviland. They exhibited in international exhibitions in Paris in 1855, where they were much praised for the whiteness of the porcelain and the beauty of its designs, and as was this vase, in 1878. The company became Gibus & Redon in the early 1870s and, when Gibus retired, in 1881, Redon &Cie. However, they were already exhibiting as 'le Maison Redon' in 1878. In 1914 the factory passed to the conglomerate Porcelaine Limousine. This vase is a particularly exquisite example of porcelain in the very fashionable 'Japanese taste' by a company that was often thought to rival Sèvres.
Bibliographic reference
Gazette des Beaux Arts, vol.XVIII, 1878, p.684
Collection
Accession number
C.12-1975

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdApril 11, 2006
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest