Ring thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Jewellery, Rooms 91, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery

Ring

1969 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Gerda Flöckinger is one of the pre-eminent artists in the alternative jewellery scene in London. Born in Innsbruck, Austria, in 1927, she emigrated to Britain in 1938. She studied fine art at St Martin's School of Art, and jewellery and enamels at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London. On leaving in 1956, she took the then highly unusual decision to work as an independent designer and maker. In 1962 she established a pioneering course in experimental jewellery at Hornsey School of Art. Many of the next generation of British artist-jewellers were taught there. Flöckinger was the first contemporary jeweller to have her own exhibition at the V&A, in 1971.

In this ring, the flat polished surfaces of Gerda Flöckinger’s early work have made way for encrusted, organic textures. These have come to typify her work. At this date, large, unusual stones - cameos, soft-coloured cabochons, veined turquoises and irregular pearls - were incorporated to give glowing pools of colour amidst the swirling metal.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Silver, gold and Iranian turquoise inlaid with gold
Brief Description
Oxidised silver and gold set with a fragment of Persian turquoise, designed and made by Gerda Flöckinger in 1969.
Physical Description
Oxidised silver and gold ring with a drum shaped bezel pierced and decorated with pellets and trailing applied wires and a fragment of Persian turquoise
Dimensions
  • Height: 2.9cm
  • Width: 2.2cm
  • Depth: 1.9cm
Object history
Purchased from the artist from the exhibition held at the V&A in 1971.
Historical context
The flat polished surfaces of Gerda Flöckinger's early work have made way for the encrusted, organic textures that have come to typify her work. At this date, large, unusual stones- cameos, soft-coloured cabochons, veined turquoises and irregular pearls were incorporated to give glowing pools of colour amidst the swirling metal.
Summary
Gerda Flöckinger is one of the pre-eminent artists in the alternative jewellery scene in London. Born in Innsbruck, Austria, in 1927, she emigrated to Britain in 1938. She studied fine art at St Martin's School of Art, and jewellery and enamels at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London. On leaving in 1956, she took the then highly unusual decision to work as an independent designer and maker. In 1962 she established a pioneering course in experimental jewellery at Hornsey School of Art. Many of the next generation of British artist-jewellers were taught there. Flöckinger was the first contemporary jeweller to have her own exhibition at the V&A, in 1971.



In this ring, the flat polished surfaces of Gerda Flöckinger’s early work have made way for encrusted, organic textures. These have come to typify her work. At this date, large, unusual stones - cameos, soft-coloured cabochons, veined turquoises and irregular pearls - were incorporated to give glowing pools of colour amidst the swirling metal.
Collection
Accession Number
CIRC.117-1971

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdNovember 2, 2005
Record URL