Pendant thumbnail 1
Pendant thumbnail 2
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Jewellery, Rooms 91, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery

Pendant

ca. 1867 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This pendant, made by Carlo Giuliano, may have been shown at the international exhibition in Paris in 1867. An identical pendant was displayed at the exhibition by the jeweller and silversmith, Harry Emanuel and illustrated in the Art Journal magazine.
Carlo Giuliano was born in Naples and worked for some time in the Rome workshops of Alessandro Castellani before coming to London in about 1860. He worked almost exclusively for the trade supplying firms such as Harry Emanuel, Hunt and Roskell and C.F. Hancock until he opened retail premises in Picadilly in 1874.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Enamelled gold, set with rubies, diamonds and river pearls
Brief Description
Vase-shaped pendant, enamelled gold decorated with rubies, with three enamelled cherub terms, England (London), ca. 1865.
Physical Description
Vase-shaped pendant, enamelled gold decorated with table cut rubies, with three enamelled cherub herms and three pendant drops set with diamond chips and hung with river pearls. Opaque and cloisonné enaml used. Locket fitting at the back. Applied plaque with Carlo Giuliano's second mark.
Dimensions
  • Height: 8.4cm
  • Width: 3.8cm
  • Depth: 2.7cm
Marks and Inscriptions
'CG' (On gold work, maker, Carlo Giuliano's, second mark.)
Credit line
Given by Carlo and Arthur Giuliano
Object history
Applied plaque with Carlo Giuliano's second mark. This vase-shaped pendant, with three enamelled cherub terms, is similar to one shown by Harry Emanuel of New Bond Street at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867.
Subject depicted
Summary
This pendant, made by Carlo Giuliano, may have been shown at the international exhibition in Paris in 1867. An identical pendant was displayed at the exhibition by the jeweller and silversmith, Harry Emanuel and illustrated in the Art Journal magazine.

Carlo Giuliano was born in Naples and worked for some time in the Rome workshops of Alessandro Castellani before coming to London in about 1860. He worked almost exclusively for the trade supplying firms such as Harry Emanuel, Hunt and Roskell and C.F. Hancock until he opened retail premises in Picadilly in 1874.
Bibliographic Reference
Geoffrey Munn, Castellani and Giuliano. Revivalist jewellers of the Nineteenth Century.London,1984,p.60-65
Collection
Accession Number
164-1900

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdSeptember 1, 2005
Record URL