Architecture thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Medieval & Renaissance, Room 50a, The Paul and Jill Ruddock Gallery

Architecture

ca. 1483-1490 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This console, with acanthus leaves and other Renaissance decoration, came from a fort on the Adriatic coast. The fort was commissioned by Giovanni della Rovere, Lord of Senigallia and nephew of Pope Sixtus IV.A corbel rather than a capital, the object would have been set in to the wall at the point where the vault of the ceiling meets the wall providing an aesthetic termination rather than any significant architectural support.


object details
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Istrian stone
Brief Description
Stone Italian (urbino) c1490
Physical Description
Pilaster made of Istrian stone. Carved with a tapered bracket, from which rise two volutes and folage and, between them, an acanthus leaf. At the top a concave moulding with, in the centre, a bulb between two leaves.
Dimensions
  • Approx height: 45.7cm
  • Approx width: 35.6cm
Measured for the Medieval and Renaissance Galleries
Object history
Purchased in London by J C Robinson with 20 others.
Production
From the Rocca Roveresca di Mondolfo near Sinigallia in the Marches, central Italy
Association
Summary
This console, with acanthus leaves and other Renaissance decoration, came from a fort on the Adriatic coast. The fort was commissioned by Giovanni della Rovere, Lord of Senigallia and nephew of Pope Sixtus IV.A corbel rather than a capital, the object would have been set in to the wall at the point where the vault of the ceiling meets the wall providing an aesthetic termination rather than any significant architectural support.
Bibliographic References
  • List of Objects in the Art Division, South Kensington Museum acquired in the Year 1878. London, 1879, p. 35
  • Pope-Hennessy, John. Catalogue of Italian Sculpture in the Victoria and Albert Museum. London: Her Majesty's Stationary Office, 1964. pp.303
  • Raggio, Olga. 'Catalogue of Italian Sculpture in the Victoria and Albert Museum' Art Bulletin vol.L, 1968.
Collection
Accession Number
368G-1878

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdAugust 2, 2005
Record URL