Dr. John Henry Middleton, Director of the Art Museum, 1893-1896 thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level F , Case CONS, Shelf 1 TEMP

Dr. John Henry Middleton, Director of the Art Museum, 1893-1896

Photograph
ca. 1890s (photographed)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

This photograph shows the archaeologist and art historian Dr John Henry Middleton. In 1892 Middleton was appointed director of the South Kensington Museum (later the V&A). He implemented several reforms of great importance yet the strain caused an increase in his use of opiates, to which he had been addicted since suffering depression in his youth. An accidental overdose of morphia cut short his life at the Residences, South Kensington Museum, on 10 June 1896.


Object details

Categories
Object type
TitleDr. John Henry Middleton, Director of the Art Museum, 1893-1896 (generic title)
Materials and techniques
Albumen print
Brief description
'Dr.John Henry Middleton', photograph by R.& H. Stiles Photographers, ca.1890's.
Physical description
Cabinet photograph of Dr. John Henry Middleton.
Dimensions
  • Sheet height: 21.2cm
  • Sheet width: 16.2cm
  • Image height: 15.1cm
  • Image width: 10.3cm
Marks and inscriptions
Dr. J.H. Middleton / 1893-1896 / Reg. No. 49593 / R. & H. Stiles Photographers / 3. Campden Hill Road / Kensington, W. / Out 16 1/2 + 12 1/2 (Written in pencil and ink on the back of the print.)
Object history
Vintage print removed from Directorate staircase January 2005. Replaced with modern reproduction.
Subject depicted
Summary
This photograph shows the archaeologist and art historian Dr John Henry Middleton. In 1892 Middleton was appointed director of the South Kensington Museum (later the V&A). He implemented several reforms of great importance yet the strain caused an increase in his use of opiates, to which he had been addicted since suffering depression in his youth. An accidental overdose of morphia cut short his life at the Residences, South Kensington Museum, on 10 June 1896.
Collection
Accession number
E.209-2005

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdMarch 7, 2005
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest