The Arms and Fortifications of the City of Nuremberg
- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
This is a lead medal made in Nuremberg, Germany, and dated 1613. The obverse of the medal represents the shield of the Holy Roman Empire, crowned, and the walls of a fortified city. The reverse shows a Latin inscription commemorating a restoration of the defences of Nuremberg in 1613, soon after the beginnings of the so-called Thirty Years War.
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Diameter: 8.25 cm
Object history note
Bought in 1872.
Historical context note
The restoration of the defences, commemorated by this medal, was completed soon after the beginnings of the Thirty Years War.
Medallion, lead, arms and fortifications of the City of Nuremberg, German (Nuremberg), dated 1613
Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)
List of Objects in the Art Division, South Kensington, Acquired During the Year 1872, Arranged According to the Dates of Acquisition. London: Printed by George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., p. 47
Coins & Medals; Medallions