Tile Panel

1570-1574 (made)
Tile Panel thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Islamic Middle East, Room 42, The Jameel Gallery
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

These six tiles probably decorated the imperial palace at Edirne, north-west of Istanbul. They formed part of a tall, thin panel with a self-contained design. The central section depicted a niche filled with floral and arabesque scrollwork on a white ground. These tiles show the arch at the top.

The tiles were produced at the Iznik potteries near Istanbul. The imperial court renewed its patronage of Iznik ceramics during the construction of the Süleymaniye mosque in Istanbul in 1550 to 1557. The first tiles were produced, and potters added a bright red to the range of colours painted under the glaze. This was achieved with a slip made from a special clay.

In the following decades, tiles of high quality were decorated in red, green and tones of blue on a white ground. Dishes, bottles and other vessels had similar decoration on white or coloured grounds.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 6 parts.

  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
Materials and Techniques
Fritware, polyhrome underglaze painted, glazed
Brief Description
Panel of six wall tiles with an arch motif, Turkey (probably Iznik), 1570-74.
Physical Description
Panel of six wall tiles, fritware painted in underglaze colours. Originally the top section of a panel forming a niche motif.
Dimensions
  • Height: 62cm
  • Width: 102cm
  • Depth: 3cm
  • Weight: 23kg
Styles
Gallery Label
  • Jameel Gallery Tiles with Arch Motif (above left) Turkey, probably Iznik 1570-4 These six tiles probably decorated the imperial palace at Edirne, north-west of Istanbul. They formed part of a tall, thin panel with a self-contained design. The central section depicted a niche filled with floral and arabesque scrollwork on a white ground. These tiles show the arch at the top. Fritware painted under the glaze Museum no. 428-1900(Jameel Gallery)
  • PANEL OF WALL-TILES White earthenware painted in underglaze colours. TURKISH (IZNIK); second half of 16th century.(Used until 11/2003)
Production
Probably made for the Ottoman palace at Edirne.
Subjects depicted
Summary
These six tiles probably decorated the imperial palace at Edirne, north-west of Istanbul. They formed part of a tall, thin panel with a self-contained design. The central section depicted a niche filled with floral and arabesque scrollwork on a white ground. These tiles show the arch at the top.



The tiles were produced at the Iznik potteries near Istanbul. The imperial court renewed its patronage of Iznik ceramics during the construction of the Süleymaniye mosque in Istanbul in 1550 to 1557. The first tiles were produced, and potters added a bright red to the range of colours painted under the glaze. This was achieved with a slip made from a special clay.



In the following decades, tiles of high quality were decorated in red, green and tones of blue on a white ground. Dishes, bottles and other vessels had similar decoration on white or coloured grounds.
Bibliographic Reference
Arthur Lane, A Guide to the Collection of Tiles, London, 1960, 21.
Collection
Accession Number
428-1900

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 9, 2003
Record URL