Tiles thumbnail 1
Tiles thumbnail 2
+1
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Ceramics, Room 145

This object consists of 23 parts, some of which may be located elsewhere.

Tiles

ca.1882 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

the English artist William De Morgan was fascinated by ceramics from the Islamic world and developed a range of colours and designs that he called 'Persian'.
These tiles were originally installed in a fireplace of The Three Gables, 6 Fitzjohns Avenue, Hampstead, a house designed by Richard Norman Shaw in 1881-2 for the painter Frank Holl. Later owned by the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and used a radiotherapy clinic, the house was scheduled for demolition in January 1965. The tiles were removed immediately prior to this and eventually acquired by the V&A.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 23 parts.

  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
  • Tile
Materials and Techniques
Earthenware painted in underglaze colours
Brief Description
E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



C



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



One of twenty-three earthenware tiles with underglaze decoration in colours of stylized flowers and foliage in "Persian" style, made by Wm. de Morgan (unmarked) probably at Merton Abbey, 1882-88

approx. 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19 (previously CER.LOST.132)



One of twenty-three earthenware tiles with underglaze decoration in colours of stylized flowers and foliage in "Persian" style, made by Wm. de Morgan (unmarked) probably at Merton Abbey, 1882-88

approx. 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm

(previously CER.LOST.133)



One of twenty-three earthenware tiles with underglaze decoration in colours of stylized flowers and foliage in "Persian" style, made by Wm. de Morgan (unmarked) probably at Merton Abbey, 1882-88

approx. 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm

(previously CER.LOST.134)



One of twenty-three earthenware tiles with underglaze decoration in colours of stylized flowers and foliage in "Persian" style, made by Wm. de Morgan (unmarked) probably at Merton Abbey, 1882-88

approx. 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm

(previously CER.LOST.135)



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19 (previously CER.LOST.136)



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19 (previously CER.LOST.137)



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19 (previously CER.LOST.138)



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19 (previously CER.LOST.139)



E, NP, WILLIAM DE MORGAN, 19 (previously CER.LOST.140)
Physical Description
Set of earthenware tiles with underglaze decoration in colours of stylized flowers and foliage.
Dimensions
  • Approx each tile unframed height: 20cm
  • Approx each tile unframed width: 20cm
Style
Marks and Inscriptions
  • Unmarked
Credit line
Given by the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board
Object history
The tiles were installed in a fireplace of The Three Gables, 6 Fitzjohns Avenue, Hampstead, a house designed by Richard Norman Shaw in 1881-2 for the painter Frank Holl. Later owned by the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and used a radiotherapy clinic, the house was scheduled for demolition in January 1965. The tiles were removed immediately prior to this.
Summary
the English artist William De Morgan was fascinated by ceramics from the Islamic world and developed a range of colours and designs that he called 'Persian'.

These tiles were originally installed in a fireplace of The Three Gables, 6 Fitzjohns Avenue, Hampstead, a house designed by Richard Norman Shaw in 1881-2 for the painter Frank Holl. Later owned by the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and used a radiotherapy clinic, the house was scheduled for demolition in January 1965. The tiles were removed immediately prior to this and eventually acquired by the V&A.
Bibliographic Reference
Saint, Andrew. Richard Norman Shaw. New Haven, 1976, pp155, 158-9, 425.
Collection
Accession Number
CIRC.35-1970

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJuly 7, 2003
Record URL