- Place of origin:
ca. 1700 (made)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Credit Line:
Given by Sir Charles and Lady Allom in memory of their son, Lieutenant Cedric Allom RFA
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
British Galleries, Room 54, case 4, shelf EXP
This capital is from a Corinthian pilaster (flat column) that once formed part of the panelling of an interior.
A more purist approach to classicism, known as Palladianism, became the national style for architecture from the 1720s. It was based on the work of the 16th-century Italian architect, Andrea Palladio, and of Inigo Jones, the English architect and designer who had introduced Palladio's style to Britain in the 1620s.
Palladianism used a sophisticated system of proportion, derived from the four different classical styles known as the orders of architecture. The Corinthian was the richest of these four orders.
This fragment formed part of the collection of Sir Charles Allom (1865-1947), the founder of White Allom & Co. He was the most fashionable interior decorator in London in the years leading up to the First World War and specialised in the different styles of the 18th century. His clients included Edward VII, for whom he remodelled the ballroom of Buckingham Palace in 1907. The fragment would have served as a model for the various interiors created by White Allom & Co.
Corinthian capital to a pilaster, carved with upright foliage and a central rosette at the top
Place of Origin
ca. 1700 (made)
Materials and Techniques
Height: 16.4 cm, Width: 20.4 cm, Depth: 11.5 cm
Corinthian capital to a pilaster, carved in walnut
Furniture and Woodwork Collection