Panel

1562 (made)
Panel thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 58b
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
In the 100 years following the Protestant Reformation of the mid-16th century, few stained-glass windows with images of people were produced for English churches. The medium was used almost solely for heraldic panels. These were commissioned by wealthy individuals to decorate their residences and to advertise their associations with the religious foundations they had patronised.

Materials & Making
By the 16th century true stained glass played a diminishing part in the production of coats of arms. Instead, white glass was painted with coloured enamel pigments. This highly-skilled work fell chiefly to Dutch and German immigrant artists. This panel is made predominantly of clear glass which has been painted with successive layers of brown enamel. The brown enamel has been scraped away in places to create white highlights. Silver stain, which turns yellow on firing, has also been used. The tones achieved - ranging from pale lemon to deep amber - vary according to the number of coats applied. This layering technique brings a striking three-dimensional quality to the border ornament.

Provenance
The shield bears the arms of the Pigot family, who in the 16th century lived at Doddington Hall in Lincolnshire. Whilst the provenance of this panel is uncertain, similar stained-glass panels exist in the mid-18th-century church of St Lawrence in Mereworth, Kent. Built in the Palladian style by John Fane, 7th Earl of Westmorland, St Lawrence was filled with old figural windows dating from the 16th to 18th centuries.


object details
Category
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Stained glass
Brief Description
Stained glass panel, coat of arms. English, 1562
Physical Description
Panel. Arms of Pigot quartering Castellini and Walcott.
Dimensions
  • Height: 62cm
  • Width: 16in
Marks and Inscriptions
Inscribed with the arms of the Pigot family, of Doddington Hall, Lincolnshire
Gallery Label
British Galleries: The best stained glass artists in London between 1450 and 1600 were immigrants from The Netherlands or the German states. The painter of this panel carefully layered the colours to give a three-dimensional effect to the classical ornament.(27/03/2003)
Credit line
Given by W. Coker Iliffe
Object history
From Kent?
Summary
Object Type
In the 100 years following the Protestant Reformation of the mid-16th century, few stained-glass windows with images of people were produced for English churches. The medium was used almost solely for heraldic panels. These were commissioned by wealthy individuals to decorate their residences and to advertise their associations with the religious foundations they had patronised.

Materials & Making
By the 16th century true stained glass played a diminishing part in the production of coats of arms. Instead, white glass was painted with coloured enamel pigments. This highly-skilled work fell chiefly to Dutch and German immigrant artists. This panel is made predominantly of clear glass which has been painted with successive layers of brown enamel. The brown enamel has been scraped away in places to create white highlights. Silver stain, which turns yellow on firing, has also been used. The tones achieved - ranging from pale lemon to deep amber - vary according to the number of coats applied. This layering technique brings a striking three-dimensional quality to the border ornament.

Provenance
The shield bears the arms of the Pigot family, who in the 16th century lived at Doddington Hall in Lincolnshire. Whilst the provenance of this panel is uncertain, similar stained-glass panels exist in the mid-18th-century church of St Lawrence in Mereworth, Kent. Built in the Palladian style by John Fane, 7th Earl of Westmorland, St Lawrence was filled with old figural windows dating from the 16th to 18th centuries.
Bibliographic Reference
Glass, or Glass-making as a creative art through the ages, Leeds : Temple Newsam House, 1961191
Collection
Accession Number
C.126-1929

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 9, 1998
Record URL