Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level C , Case GG, Shelf 158

Official programme for ceremony of laying foundation stone of V&A

Programme
1899 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
The printed programme detailing the order of ceremonies accompanying the laying of the foundation stone by Queen Victoria for the new Museum buildings designed by the architect Aston Webb, on 17 May 1899.

Time
This ceremonial programme represents a key moment in the history of the Victoria and Albert Museum. With the completion of Aston Webb building in 1908 the museum was at last established in permanent buildings and the core collections recognisable today. The art and science collections were finally separated with the new Aston Webb building, designed by Sir Aston Webb (1849-1930), providing opportunities for re-arrangement and re-display.

Historical Association
To coincide with the laying of the foundation stone of the new buildings it was decided to change the museum's name from 'The South Kensington Museum'. Initially Queen Victoria wanted the museum to be called 'The Albert Museum' but was prevailed upon to add her own name. The ceremony had all the pomp and circumstance of a state occasion, with the Queen travelling from Buckingham Palace in an open landau carriage, escorted by the Life Guards, and entering a specially constructed pavilion with seating for the royal family and other dignitaries. The programme lists the events of the day in detail. In her reply to the opening speech Queen Victoria emphasised the royal couple's interest in the museum since its inception: the original concept of the whole South Kensington complex had been originally conceived by Prince Albert himself.
read 100 Facts about the V&A
object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Letterpress, blue ink on pink paper
Brief Description
Official programme for ceremony of laying foundation stone of V&A, letterpress, blue ink on pink paper
Physical Description
Programme, the left half of the object details the ceremony in prose, the right hand is a title page.
Dimensions
  • Unmounted height: 20.68cm
  • Width: 25.2cm
Dimensions checked: Measured; 10/10/2000 by PaperCons
Gallery Label
British Galleries: This museum was originally called the South Kensington Museum. In 1899 it was renamed the Victoria & Albert Museum in honour of the Queen and her consort, Prince Albert. This programme records the Queen's visit to lay the foundation stone of its new buildings.(27/03/2003)
Object history
Printed in London
Summary
Object Type
The printed programme detailing the order of ceremonies accompanying the laying of the foundation stone by Queen Victoria for the new Museum buildings designed by the architect Aston Webb, on 17 May 1899.

Time
This ceremonial programme represents a key moment in the history of the Victoria and Albert Museum. With the completion of Aston Webb building in 1908 the museum was at last established in permanent buildings and the core collections recognisable today. The art and science collections were finally separated with the new Aston Webb building, designed by Sir Aston Webb (1849-1930), providing opportunities for re-arrangement and re-display.

Historical Association
To coincide with the laying of the foundation stone of the new buildings it was decided to change the museum's name from 'The South Kensington Museum'. Initially Queen Victoria wanted the museum to be called 'The Albert Museum' but was prevailed upon to add her own name. The ceremony had all the pomp and circumstance of a state occasion, with the Queen travelling from Buckingham Palace in an open landau carriage, escorted by the Life Guards, and entering a specially constructed pavilion with seating for the royal family and other dignitaries. The programme lists the events of the day in detail. In her reply to the opening speech Queen Victoria emphasised the royal couple's interest in the museum since its inception: the original concept of the whole South Kensington complex had been originally conceived by Prince Albert himself.
Collection
Accession Number
E.1458-1984

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 27, 2003
Record URL