- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
British Galleries, Room 120, The Wolfson Galleries, case 9 
This is an architectural model of the Temple of the Winds, Athens. It was made in plaster with hidden iron supports by Jean Pierre Fouquet (1752-1829) as part of a commission by the British architect John Nash (1752-1835).
Jean-Pierre Fouquet was an architectural modeller whose clients included the American architect and statesman Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) and various British architects, among them Sir John Soane (1753-1835) and Sir Robert Smirke (1780-1867). Nash, George IV's favourite architect, commissioned this model and 14 others during a visit to Paris in 1821.
These models were made for Nash's London residence, 14-16 Lower Regent Street, and were exhibited in the Gallery there. Fouquet's works were also exhibited in the Paris Salon of 1817, and at the Bodleian Library, Oxford.
The Temple of the Winds, more properly the Horologion of Andronikos Kyrrhestes, was built by the astronomer Andronikos in Athens in the first century AD to serve as a sundial, water-clock and weather-vane. The winds featured on the eight panels are: Boreas (the North Wind); Kaikias (the N-E Wind); Skiron (the N-W Wind); Zephyrus (the West Wind); Lips (the S-W Wind); Notus (the South Wind); Agnaiotes (the S-E Wind); and Eurus (the East Wind). The weather-vane is in the form of a bronze triton.
Architectural model of the Temple of the Winds, Athens
Labels and date
Models were used by architects as a way of studying the details of classical buildings and their decoration. The architect John Nash (1752-1835) commissioned a set of models of famous Greek buildings while on a visit to Paris. He kept them in the gallery of his London house in Lower Regent Street, with his copies of classical sculptures. [27/03/2003]
Furniture and Woodwork Collection