Barber's Barn, Hackney thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level E , Case MB7L, Shelf Z, Box 17VII

Barber's Barn, Hackney

Watercolour
ca. 1800 (painted)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Painting of a house by a moat, with two men in top hats fishing at the back and some figures in the upstairs window.


Object details
Categories
Object type
Materials and techniques
Watercolour
Brief description
Watercolour of Barber's Barn, Hackney, by an unknown artist, about 1800.
Physical description
Painting of a house by a moat, with two men in top hats fishing at the back and some figures in the upstairs window.
Dimensions
  • Height: 6in
  • Width: 6.5in
Dimensions taken from departmental handlist.
Credit line
Given by the Hon. Arthur Villiers
Object history
This object was part of the John Edmund Gardner collection of topographical prints and drawings of London. After Gardner's death the collection passed to his son Edmund Thomas, but was sold to Edward Coates MP in 1910. The collection was sold again in 1923 after Coates' death, and was split between various institutions and private collectors. The portion connected with Hoxton, Homerton, Hackney and Bethnal Green was bought by the Hon. Arthur Villiers and donated to the Bethnal Green Museum.



The house in this image was known as Barber's Barn or Barber's Baron, after the land it was built on (Barbour Berns). It was on Mare Street in Hackney and was built in around 1591. It was owned and occupied in the mid 17th century by John Okey, a signatory to Charles I's death warrant, and in the mid 18th century its gardens were used as nurseries for exotic plants by John Busch and later Messrs. Loddidges. The house survived until the late 18th or early 19th century, when it was pulled down by Conrad Loddidge to build modern terraces. [Information from 'Old and New London: Volume 5'. Cassell, Petter & Galpin, London, 1878.]
Subjects depicted
Place depicted
Associations
Bibliographic reference
Taken from departmental handlist.
Collection
Accession number
E.4670-1923

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

Record createdJune 30, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest