Not currently on display at the V&A

Haberdasher's Alms Houses, Hoxton

Print
12 January 1828 (published)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Print depicting Aske's Hospital (also known as the Haberdasher's Almshouses), Hoxton


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
engraving
Brief Description
'Haberdasher's Alms Houses, Hoxton', engraving by John Rolph after T. H. Shepherd, 1828
Physical Description
Print depicting Aske's Hospital (also known as the Haberdasher's Almshouses), Hoxton
Dimensions
  • Height: 5.5in
  • Width: 8.5in
Dimensions taken from departmental handlist
Marks and Inscriptions
  • Drawn by Thos. H. Shepherd / Engraved by John Rolph
  • Published Jany. 1828 by Jones & Co, 3 Acton Place, Kingsland Road, London
Credit line
Given by the Hon. Arthur Villiers
Object history
The Almshouses of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, also known as Aske's Hospital, were founded through a bequest from the city merchant Robert Aske (1619-1689). They were built at the end of Pitfield Street, Hoxton, to a design by Robert Hooke in around 1692. The buildings were reconstructed in 1825 by David Riddell Roper, and the almshouses closed in 1874. The site is now occupied by the Haberdasher's Aske's School.



This object was part of the John Edmund Gardner collection of topographical prints and drawings of London. After Gardner's death the collection passed to his son Edmund Thomas, but was sold to Edward Coates MP in 1910. The collection was sold again in 1923 after Coates' death, and was split between various institutions and private collectors. The portion connected with Hoxton, Homerton, Hackney and Bethnal Green was bought by the Hon. Arthur Villiers and donated to the Bethnal Green Museum.
Production
Illustration from Metropolitan Improvements; or London in the Nineteenth Century, by James Elmes from original drawings by Thomas H. Shepherd, London: Jones & Co., 1827-8
Subject depicted
Place Depicted
Associations
Bibliographic Reference
Taken from departmental handlist
Collection
Accession Number
E.4844-1923

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 30, 2009
Record URL